What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same bacon, egg, tomato, lettuce and mayo on an everything bagel. I was right, it didn't kill me today. Yet... ;)

This sounds like the perfect breakfast to me, except the bagel. I love them, but have to pass because of my diabetes.

I love eggs so much, I can't imagine not having them for breakfast every morning.

Homemade sausage bread with butter and syrup, 1/2 red grapefruit and Earl Grey tea. Tomorrow we'll have blueberry pancakes and cantaloup, as I need to use up the fruit.

This sounds like the perfect breakfast to me, except the bagel. I love them, but have to pass because of my diabetes.

I love eggs so much, I can't imagine not having them for breakfast every morning.

Yeah I totally understand. I have a thing I call "Greg's don't eat white diet." White means anything refined like bread (wheat flour), sugar, potatoes (starch), spaghetti (same), rice (same).

Of course you know this, but for everybody else: refined starches turn into sugar when they hit the enzymes in your stomach, and go directly from your stomach into your blood stream.

Your pancreas senses the increased blood sugar level and releases insulin which signals your fat cells to convert the blood sugar into fat. This keeps your blood sugar level from getting too high.

If you have diabetes or a pre-diabetic condition your pancreas does not release sufficient insulin and your blood sugar level surges to dangerous levels.

Even for people without any diabetic tendencies, these "white" foods still are the equivalent of simply eating handfuls of sugar. Sugars and starches are practically the same thing, so when you eat bread, sugar, potatoes, pasta, etc. just think of yourself eating handfuls of sugar.

Unfortunately, while I have no diabetic tendencies, I have a mild case of Dunlop's disease. That's when your belly dunlops over your belt! ;)

I bought more bagels today, but I also bought some bananas and milk. I like Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal, little squares of toasted wheat (unfortunately with sugar added, Kashi brags too much about the health of their cereals) but I plan on having my favorite bagel and egg breakfast and more banana, milk and cereal, at least in a balance with the egg-bagels.

(Wheat is sugar too, but less wheat with more fruit and more milk -- protein -- leaves less sugar. I use 2% milk.)

I figure if I alternate the egg-bagel with the banana-milk-cereal I'll be better off.

OMG I'm so glad that my black coffee has no dietary consequences! I can drink as much as I want! :)

Remember Greg's "don't eat white" diet if you have a weight problem. All refined or pure starches are just sugar in another form.

Me too, Carol....I love eggs and have them almost every morning - at least 5 days out of 7, anyway. :yum:

It's funny how eggs had such a bad reputation for a time...

Yeah they have cholesterol, but more science has come out now. It turns out that eating cholesterol does not cause high cholesterol. It's the cholesterol made in your body that is to blame. The cholesterol you eat mostly just passes out of your body.

Eating cholesterol does NOT cause high cholesterol!

Eating fat does not make you fat, within reason. Fat is calories but avoiding eating all fat is NOT healthy! My mother -- God love her -- lived to 92 years and 2 days, and she was as skinny as a bird when she passed. I had been after her for years, being that skinny and thinking that getting all the fat out of her diet was healthy. It wasn't.

The mistake my mother made is she did not have exercise in her life plan. Sure she lived a long time, but she would still be with us if she had gotten decent exercise AND ate a reasonable but not excessive amount of fat.

The lesson to learn from this is that diet alone cannot make you healthy. It's diet AND exercise in proper balance that makes a person healthy!

So now that have eggs and bagels and bacon, and also have milk, bananas and cereal, what will I have tomorrow? ........ :) ........ I think it will be bagel/egg tomorrow because I had no eggs today, and then make up by having bnaana/milk/cereal day after to pay for my sins.

It is amazing, isn't it? Eggs, coffee, wine, all sorts of things that used to be no-nos are now what are recommended for daily consumption.

Hmm. Now I have a good idea for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Greg, I eat potatoes and rice for the nutrients they contain. But controlling my diet on a daily basis, I have my diabetes well under control. So much so that I no longer take any insulin, pill or injection. It is the excess intake of these two foods that is the problem. I have managed to continue eating these two foods and still lose 40 pounds and keep my sugar levels under control. A medium size potato, or a serving spoon of rice has enough nutrients in them that I can meet my daily needs. And I leave my plate clean. Or try to. I would rather have a large helping of a green veggie. Or even carrots or squash. But I temper the veggie with a starch. :angel:

This morning for me there were hot green tea, biscuits, strawberry jam and toasted bread. I wish I had more time to have breakfast :(:dry:

Today was two poached eggs, sautéed asparagus, a rice blend with lentils, wild rice, brown rice, and cargo rice, and a serving of plain yogurt. The rice was leftover, so it only took the time it took to reheat the rice, sauté the asparagus and poach the eggs.

Yeah I totally understand. I have a thing I call "Greg's don't eat white diet." White means anything refined like bread (wheat flour), sugar, potatoes (starch), spaghetti (same), rice (same).
CWS' don't eat white diet version is similar, except I rarely eat bread of any kind, eat pasta about 4 times/year, and can't remember the last time I had white rice. I do like wild rice and whole-grains, I would have a hard time giving up grains. I also eat a lot of veggies. 2/3 of my plate is veggies--no matter which meal it is--breakfast always has a lot of veggies.

I routinely violate my "don't eat white" diet, but I understand I am eating the equivalent of raw sugar. I currently have no diabetes or pre-diabetic indicators.

"Don't eat white" is really sort of obvious, it may be a chemical characteristic of the appearance of purified starches and sugars. Not my original idea although I put it together myself, but many others have made the same connection.

Okay I got my favorite egg bacon bagel etc. breakfast today but tomorrow I have to pay for my sins with banana, milk and cereal. At least I get my coffee! :)

The only white in my house is me. My dog is tan. He's a cocker.

I paid for my sins today with cereal and with Lean Cuisine for dinner. Tomorrow I get the bagel, bacon and egg. Yay!!! :laugh:

Seriously I eat starches but should eat less of them.

I should add the worst white of all: vodka and any 80/87 proof (or higher) liquor. It doesn't even need enzymes to enter your blood stream as empty calories, and strains your liver to turn it into something your body can use without poisoning yourself.

Funny how many alcohols are fermented sugars. I guess that's why the body converts them back so easily.

Without even looking at a chemistry book I can tell you the difference between an alcohol, a fat and a sugar are inconsequential, just rearrangement of atoms, easy to change one into another.

Nothing spectacular but it did co-star my own wholemeal bread - shallot omelette in a one-sided toast sandwich. (Not toasted on the inner side)

Stuffed breakfast potato w/ egg,wild asparagus,green onion,jalapeno.tomato,cheese,capers & bacon.

img_1420351_0_7579ba5e981d03cfc59cd59a6b0c02df.jpg

img_1420351_1_0c817153de3ccd8577dd5ec4cadb3c77.jpg

img_1420351_2_78165ebd903a07f6c8a89eb41a9bc3d0.jpg

I went to my local food market and had an awful breakfast. I should have known it from the last time - my first experience of their hog roast roll. On that occasion, I did mention that the crackling was exceedingly salty (to the point where it was almost inedible). It was the first time they were doing the hog roast. So I thought I might try it again and see if it had improved. What a let down! Not only was the crackling the same (nicely crisp but like it had 10 times the usual amount of salt) but the pork was COLD! Lesson learnt! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yum, Joey! :yum:

I had bacon, a fried egg, a toasted cinnamon raisin English muffin, cranberry juice, and coffee.

I didn't eat anything Thursday. So last night after I woke up from a long nap, which would have been my morning, I did scramble up two eggs. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom