What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a repeat of that today [Honey-Nut Cheerios and Grape Nuts with bananas and strawberries with almond milk]. There is a lot more fruit in my bowl than there is cereal, and I hate using a lot of almond milk because the cereal gets mushy too fast. If I can do that 4x a week I am doing much better than leftover pizza! The weird thing is, when I eat that, I am ravenously hungry 4 hours later. The pizza or some other leftover fatty food would tide me over for 6 hours. That's not what I expected.
That breakfast is almost all carbs, with a little bit of protein, and maybe a tiny bit of fat; it's also high in sugar (a carb) from the fruit and almond milk. The carbs are quickly digested, which gives you a burst of energy along with a spike of insulin, but it dissipates relatively quickly, leaving you feeling hungry. Adding some fat and protein will slow down your digestion and you will feel full longer. Maybe add a few ounces of cheese alongside the cereal.

Last edited:
I buy quarts of half n half because it lasts a long time.
Same - it's ultra-pasteurized, so it lasts at least a month. DH likes it in his coffee and I use it for most of my liquid dairy needs, like mashed potatoes and baked goods. If I need a lower fat dairy product, I dilute the half and half with water.

That breakfast is almost all carbs, with a little bit of protein, and maybe a tiny bit of fat; it's also high in sugar (a carb) from the fruit and almond milk. The carbs are quickly digested, which gives you a burst of energy along with a spike of insulin, but it dissipates relatively quickly, leaving you feeling hungry. Adding some fat and protein will slow down your digestion and you will feel full longer. Maybe add a few ounces of cheese alongside the cereal.
I don't want fat and protein at breakfast all the time, I promise that I more than make up for it with later meals, LOL. I also I have a strong cup of coffee with cream before I eat. I do the cereal about 4x a week, but other days it's grits (made with cream), cheese, eggs, and bacon. My goal with this cereal breakfast is less dairy and more fiber.

I'm okay with being hungry 4 hours after breakfast...

It's weird, I like corn bread and make it maybe once every 5 or 6 years. But I don't understand the US fascination for it. Even though people who have had my cornbread absolutely love it - I find it makes me gag a bit and it is NOT dry.
You weren't raised on it, so you didn't develop a taste for it. I was raised in Michigan with the northern version of cornbread, which includes a fair amount of fat in the form of an egg, bacon fat to grease the pan, and sugar. Southerners call it corn cake 🤣 And I wasn't raised on baguettes, which I find dry and flavorless. Sorry/not sorry to the French and Quebeçois 😉

I don't want fat and protein at breakfast all the time, I promise that I more than make up for it with later meals, LOL. I also I have a strong cup of coffee with cream before I eat. I do the cereal about 4x a week, but other days it's grits (made with cream), cheese, eggs, and bacon. My goal with this cereal breakfast is less dairy and more fiber.

I'm okay with being hungry 4 hours after breakfast...
Ok, you don't want a balanced breakfast all the time. No skin off my nose. I was just explaining the physiology and the reason for why you feel that way, since you said it was unexpected.

Ok, you don't want a balanced breakfast all the time. No skin off my nose. I was just explaining the physiology and the reason for why you feel that way, since you said it was unexpected.
Yeah because for over 4 decades I didn't eat cereal, and when I ate it as a kid, I didn't remember being so hungry at lunch. Maybe it's because school lunches were so awful, LOL.

Or because you're not a child anymore and your metabolism has changed.
I was always ravenous as a child. We didn't have a lot of money and I was the youngest of 6 kids, so if I didn't eat fast I didn't get enough to eat. But lunches really were that awful. I do recall rushing home to make a peanut butter sandwich after school because I was hungry.

It's interesting, a few times I have done intermittent fasting over the past year or so and didn't seem affected by skipping meals.

Last edited:
Fermented rolled 9 grain flakes with carrot slaw (carrots apples pineapple), raisins, ground flax and chia, some cinnamon. Again.

Sunday 18 Feb brunch was a double espresso; a fritatta with spicy ground pork, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and Fiesta Mexican cheese blend; Portuguese sweet rolls; pineapple and honeydew fruit salad; and a mimosa.

I generally don't eat breakfast, but brunch.
Anyway, this morning I felt like I deserved scrambled eggs, my style
IMG_20240221_093531_443.jpg

I buy quarts of half n half because it lasts a long time.
I used to buy heavy cream and add water if I needed it thinner instead of other dairy products since we don't use dairy that often, but someone on here mentioned that organic milk will last a month or longer. Gave that a try and it's absolutely true. The last half gallon I got stuck around for almost 6 weeks and was still good when I used the last of it. Check the dates when you buy and get the newest.

Back
Top Bottom