"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #981
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We had soft scrambled eggs and link sausages, orange juice and coffee.

Then......

I experimented. We've been emptying Glenn's mother's refrigerator since she's had to go to the nursing home. We came home Friday with several cans of Grands biscuits and a can of Grands cinnamon rolls.

Okay, to explain, we don't use either of those products but I thought I'd give them a try...with a twist. So, Friday afternoon I cut holes in the biscuits (like doughnuts) and deep fried them and rolled them in cinnamon sugar. Wow! Really great. Completely changed the flavor and texture of the product. I never would've guessed they began as canned biscuits.

Now, here's were today's "then" comes in. I did the same thing this morning with the cinnamon rolls. Except that instead of cinnamon sugar, I spread the included frosting on them after they cooled a bit. Daggone good!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #982
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
We had soft scrambled eggs and link sausages, orange juice and coffee.

Then......

I experimented. We've been emptying Glenn's mother's refrigerator since she's had to go to the nursing home. We came home Friday with several cans of Grands biscuits and a can of Grands cinnamon rolls.

Okay, to explain, we don't use either of those products but I thought I'd give them a try...with a twist. So, Friday afternoon I cut holes in the biscuits (like doughnuts) and deep fried them and rolled them in cinnamon sugar. Wow! Really great. Completely changed the flavor and texture of the product. I never would've guessed they began as canned biscuits.

Now, here's were today's "then" comes in. I did the same thing this morning with the cinnamon rolls. Except that instead of cinnamon sugar, I spread the included frosting on them after they cooled a bit. Daggone good!!!
I think it was Paula Deen who did that also on one of her shows. Sure beats making the dough.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #983
Master Chef

Breakfast is my bete noir. I'm just not hungry most of the time. I know I should eat. But nothing seems appetizing. There are few things I truly dislike in the food world, and believe it or not, milk is one of them. Breakfast cereal may be one reason I left home as soon as I graduated from high school (I'm just joking, Mom let me eat what I wanted as long as I ate before I went to school, usually soup). I'm so-so on eggs, and when I want an egg, I want it later in the day. Most mornings I have a 9 a.m. exercise class, and food in my stomach, especially on Mondays when it is Pilates, just seems to want to exit my body as soon as possible ... as in, right in the middle of my class. And I do NOT have a fussy tummy. My in between seems a mini muffin or something similar tossed into a baggie in my purse so I can grab a bite right after class.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #984
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Much better. Thanks you for asking. I went grocery shopping for the month this morning. I was starting to get a migraine headache. Took one of the pills the doc gave me and it stopped it right in its tracks. I don't understand why I am getting micraines now. I never had them before and very rarely got heaqdaches at all. But I will deal with it.
i know when I can headaches sometimes it can be realted to high blood pressure, maybe an adjustment to your med.'s or different ones may be in order. Just a thought.............
Hope you're feeling better.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #985
Chef Extraordinaire

half cup cornflakes with skim milk and blackberries. very filling and tasty.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #986
Chef Extraordinaire

Pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast & coffee.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #987
Master Chef

This morning it was Cheerios...nothing too exciting.. lol
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #988
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Steel Cut oatmeal, everyday...coffee, 1 liter of water. Thrilling breakfast!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #989
Chef Extraordinaire

Eggs, homemade breakfast sausage, baking powder biscuit (recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Red and White cookbook from the 1950s--my favorite baking powder biscuit recipe). Sorry, I can't seem to upload the picture. I'll try again later.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #990
Executive Chef

I have a new favorite. Enchaladas made with home made turkey chorizo and scrambled egg wrapped in Mission Artisan tortillas, smothered with home made enchalada sauce, and sprinkled with shredded four cheese Mexican blend, with black beans and Mexican rice as sides

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt