What is your favorite holiday memory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dad always reads the Christmas story from the Bible before we open gifts & all the grandkids sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. But last year was very special to me because my parents gave my son his first real Bible & he read the Christmas story to us.

As a kid - lots of food and relatives and presents, snooping in mom's closet...now, we live in Texas, hubby's family is in Michigan, mine in Alabama, so we're creating our own traditions for Christmas - we have a Christmas Eve 'picnic' with a fire [and AC some years!!] everybody's favorite finger food, the Christmas story and then we watch Christmas movies and open stockings. Presents are ALWAYS Christmas morning!

My great aunt and uncle always had a big Christmas party a week before the holiday. All the relatives that I didn't see that much were there. I remember many times getting all bundled up and walking down the street in the snow singing christmas carols at the neighbors' houses. That was really special. One year the youth group from a local church stopped by and sang a couple for us. It reminded me of something that would come out of a Norman Rockwell painting.

My dad is a retired Air Force sergeant, and when I was a kid we were usually far away from extended family. Thanksgiving was always a time when my parents invited all the single guys who worked with and for my dad over for a big dinner. It was always appreciated and we always had a great time. When I grew up and also entered into a military lifestyle, I did the same, and to this day still look around and try to collect any 'strays' who may not have family to celebrate with. It is always a jolly group.

Christmas was always interesting in that we kept up my parents' French-Canadian heritage. The adults in any group would hit midnight mass (usually feeling no pain). The adult left behind to watch the kids would bring out any gifts from "santa". When everyone got back from mass, the children were wakened and we opened gifts. There was tourtiere and beets and lots of libations, egg nog (spiked for adults, plain for kids). we'd be up eating and drinking and tinkering with new stuff until the sun was almost ready to come up, then sleep in very late. Anyone foolish enough to be awake early got a slice of tourtiere for breakfast, and as soon as all were up, preparations for a huge dinner were underway.

Back
Top Bottom