Whatcha eat, Pete? Sunday 7-3-16.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Been sort of a lazy day and I've been feeling not so energetic, so we'll have Chicken Piccata per Giada De Laurentiis. Love this recipe. Also trying to use up some little snivvles of leftovers, so our side will be warmed up Puerto Rican red beans and rice. We were gifted with bounty from Glenn's son's garden yesterday, which means there'll be a nice big plate of cucumber spears. Iced tea will wash it down and birthday cake and homemade vanilla ice cream will sweeten the deal.

What is everyone else doing?

We had a feast. A cold Armenian appetizer of stuffed grape leaves and a bulgar, onion, lemon and tomato appetizer served with pita. My daughters brought a chip and dip and a cheese ball. I grilled marinated beef souvlaki and roasted red and green peppers. Daughter #2 made tzatziki and we had gyro style sandwiches on pita. We also had salad and corn on the cob. Dessert was chocolate cream pie and cheesecake brownies.

I'm doing my first attempt at "Italian Sunday Gravy" today. I had never heard of it before DC but it's always interested me with it's variety of meats. I think it was our beloved Kades who first brought it to my attention years ago, so after all this time, today's the day. It's sure smelling good cooking away in my Nesco Roaster with gr.pork/hot Italian sausage/a piece of a beef tri tip to be shredded/a pork shoulder bone/lots of dried porchini with red wine in a highly spiced tomato "gravy".

Anyone else make Italian Sunday Gravy? I'm open to further suggestions.

DH smoked pork ribs today and I made baked beans and cole slaw. He brushed my ribs with a barbecue sauce made in Michigan that my brother and SIL gave us for Christmas. Yummy :yum: He likes his plain.

Attachments

• 1467589687323.jpg
    1467589687323.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 2016-07-03 18.55.06.jpg
    2016-07-03 18.55.06.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Good sounding (and looking) meals all around.

Nothing fancy here. Last night I found stuffed cabbage rolls in the back of the freezer that needed to be used up, so that's what I had.

img_1471774_0_c59f330098d16e8d8879145a3b031255.jpg

...Anyone else make Italian Sunday Gravy? I'm open to further suggestions.

I've been making it for about 13 years. I use a recipe I got from a chef in an Italian restaurant in NYC (via TV and the internet).

It includes a fantastic meatball recipe, Italian sausage and a recipe for a Bracciole di Maiale (stuffed pork roll). Sometimes I substitute chunks of beef chuck for the pork. It's a favorite meal for us. I like it because I can freeze meal-sized portions and enjoy it over and over again.

Kayelle, I haven't made Sunday gravy, but I've seen recipes that include meatballs.

I've heard of meatballs also GG, but since I had enough scraps of meat, I didn't go to the bother. Mine will be on a bed of cooked kale, and his on a bed of bow ties. It's been a fun experiment with freezer packs for another meal or two. Love that part.

That barbecue sauce sounds deeeeelectable GG !!

Just read your response Andy. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm doing my first attempt at "Italian Sunday Gravy" today. ... snipped ...
Anyone else make Italian Sunday Gravy? I'm open to further suggestions.

K, my "Gravy" or "Sunday sauce" consists of meatballs (par-baked), country pork ribs (browned) and hot italian sausages (par-baked with the meatballs), san marzano canned tomatoes (whole please and crushed in my hands) with loads of fresh minced garlic, dried oregano, grated parm and fresh flat leaf parsley.
The meats are fished out, placed on a warmed platter and the sauce in a separate bowl as well as the pasta, or in the gluten/carb free folks, Zoodles, MMM!

Himself test-drove Loverly's grill tonight before the holiday. We had grilled Italian sausages (hot and sweet) and fresh bratwurst sandwiches. Sides were corn/tomato/basil salad with Feta cheese, sauteed "stop-light" peppers and onions for those eating Italian, sauerkraut for those holding a bratwurst bun, and sauteed onions and smashed potatoes made with the potatoes that were too soft to use in potato salad. Goober had made other plans for today, so there are plenty of leftovers for him to take with him tomorrow.

Too hungry to take photos (I plumb forgot) but I have to say the photos tonight look especially yummy.

Pirate put together a chicken salad. The flavor was great. But he used only the white meat of the breast. The one meat I don't like. I tried one small piece, and can't get past the "I hate chicken breast" meat. Now, I will have to put a small spoonful on a plate and eat it, so his feelings aren't hurt. After all he made it more for me than himself. I will have some cole slaw with it. That will help. :angel:

A ham sandwich is all. However, I'm marinating some chicken parts using a copy cat El Pollo Loco marinade. It'll be 24 hours marinating by tomorrow. I bet El Pollo Loco marinates their chicken for 48 hours. Their chicken has such a uniform golden brown color. We'll see. I plan to grill it hot and turn it often, like they do.

Thanks for all the tips about "Sunday Gravy".

For my first attempt at the dish, it was really tasty, and likely filled the intent of a simple supper with bits of meats in a yummy Italian tomato sauce. I'll plan for meatballs next time. :yum:

Went to a pot luck to see fireworks and I made avocado tuna melts w/ cherry banana fruit cups + berry cream cheese celery.

img_1471829_0_2439aed204dfd9da5070a6e065f4e52f.jpg

Sunday Gravy

Kayelle, I have made Jeff Smith's Sunday Gravy ( The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian) It's really delicious.

Wow, what great looking and sounding dinners, everyone! Kay,happy to hear that your Sunday gravy was a success - it sure did sound good. :yum: CG, your meals lately (well, always....) sound scrumptious. I always tend to eat more when I'm out of town. Glad you're enjoying good meals with family. Joey, your potluck plate is so cute with the dolphins, and everything looks delicious!

I had another 'cold' plate yesterday afternoon. I fried up some chicken thighs late morning and refrigerated them. I love cold fried chicken. :yum: Marinated asparagus, deviled eggs and celery with ranch for sides. (obviously...:ermm::LOL:)
I'll nibble on the remaining chicken thighs over the next couple of days.

Attachments

• fried chicken and marinated asparagus.jpg
    fried chicken and marinated asparagus.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 138
DH smoked pork ribs today and I made baked beans and cole slaw. He brushed my ribs with a barbecue sauce made in Michigan that my brother and SIL gave us for Christmas. Yummy :yum: He likes his plain.

Looks great, GG! That bbq sauce sounds really good. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom