Whats cookin? 5/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Just toasted some passila dried chiles and am going to make a red sauce..Got chicken going for enchiladas, some refied beans,rice, salad of jicima, oranges and red onion..now for a dessert, haven't decided yet...Any Ideas???
What are you planning? Anyone want to come eat, just drop by:LOL:

kadesma

tonight is pita and tzatziki starter with a spinach salad and prosciutto and chicken ravioli appy followed by standing rib roast (not boneless like I had previously thought) with roast potatoes and asparagus and dessert is a (heavily modified) healthy white chocolate cheesecake with a blueberry topping or a mango raspberry sorbet

the only things I didn't make myself were the ravioli and the pita

should be a good dinner!

Silver said:
tonight is pita and tzatziki starter with a spinach salad and prosciutto and chicken ravioli appy followed by standing rib roast (not boneless like I had previously thought) with roast potatoes and asparagus and dessert is a (heavily modified) healthy white chocolate cheesecake with a blueberry topping or a mango raspberry sorbet

the only things I didn't make myself were the ravioli and the pita

should be a good dinner!
Sounds lucious Silver...enjoy enjoy:)

kadesma

Primavera Spaghetti. I managed to get ahold of some quality asparagus, which is very rare around here.

I was going to grill a peppercorn crusted pork loin on the grill, but now it has started raining. But if I do grill the pork loin with it I am having jalapeno coleslaw, tortellini with pesto, and zucchini and onions sauteed with herbs.

Today is dh's "cheat day" We'll be having a flank steak pinwheel filled with sun dried tomatoes, gorganzola & spinach, along with potatoes au gratin. I'm just gonna slice up some yukon golds, sprinkle generously with parm reggiano and pour some cream over with rosemary and bake. And because it's cheat day, cokes to drink and dove bars for dessert.:)

Going out for a degustation dinner tonight, but I'm starting early for tomorrow's dinner of lamb shanks in orange and sage sauce (recipe here http://cookingdownunder.com/courses/meat/rm099.htm). Lamb shanks always seem better if they're cooked then refrigerated overnight. Plus you can skim off the fat.

It's getting cooler here and it's time for a change from salads.

patch, the herbs with orange flavors on lamb is a very traditional southern french combination. i've made a stew using lamb neck and shoulder, with herbs de provence and orange zest (it is posted as "daube provencal" if you're interested :chef: ).
the idea of marinating then braising the shanks in those flavors sounds really delicious. copying... thanks for the link for the recipe.

today, after going to a craft fair, then getting rained out, i was dragged kicking and screaming to an olive garden restaurant. first time i've been to one in many years.
to put it plainly, the service was excellent, but everything else was mediocre to crappy. with all of their menu, i decided to order something that i've made at home thousands of times to see how good they are at the basics; simple sausage and peppers with ziti in a "bold sauce".
ok, well, the portion was tiny for ten bucks, but i overheard the waitress tell another customer who complained that it was the lunch serving.
in mine, there was about 1/2 of a bell pepper sliced, and about half of a sweet italian sausage, and maybe 2 cups of ziti in a very plain tomato sauce. it wasn't objectionable, but was about the same size as my son's $5 kiddie meal.
my wife liked her $13 meal, but it consisted of a single chicken breast sliced and pounded to look like two, with about a cup of roasted potatoes and peppers.
i dunno, maybe it's me, but if i go into a family type restaurant, where they're not exactly creating haute cuisine but rather slopping out inexpensive pasta dishes, the plates should be loaded.
one thing i did notice was that they kept pushing the salad and extremely over-salted breadsticks, probably to make up for the shortcomings.
even tho it felt like a minor rip-off, i gave the waitress around a 25% tip, as she was very attentive, and made every effort to help us eat with a precocious little boy looking for trouble at every turn.

soooo, now i'm heading out for a greek lamb boiguh. it is a grilled lamb patty in a pita with lettuce, tomato, onion, and feta cheese that is dressed with a garlic-y viniagrette.

Last edited:
I used a "Thai Kitchen" Pad Thai mix, jazzing it up by adding thinly sliced serrano chilis, chopped cilantro, peanuts, fresh lime juice, a handful of shrimp, a handful of imitation crabmeat, & - the star ingredient - several handfuls of fiddleheads!! Certainly not authentic, but delicious!!!

We had our first cookout of the year -- onions and asparagus with a stick of frozen butter and S&P in foil (the butter being frozen keeps it from leaking out too soon), and wings that were marinated in a combination of Tabasco with some Indian hot pepper for some more zip. A lot of rum and wine sloshed around, lots of conversation.

Back
Top Bottom