"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have to work 3rd shift tomorrow, so my socializing will be limited to a birthday fish fry for my cousin for a few hours. I 'spect it will be fun but I don't cotton much to leaving a get-together in full swing to go to work.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'm on my own most of the day and thought I was going to be on my own for dinner. Mark has a parade to ride in way out of town, but he's going to be home for dinner.

I had planned on this for myself...
-BBQ'd chicken legs, with my own sauce
-potato, macaroni salad or cole slaw
-a tomato/onion salad

Mark doesn't care for chicken legs that much, so I will do something with a chicken breast... or make him a cheeseburger.

for dessert... mandarin orange sherbet and chocolate ice cream.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
not much of a deal here. most of family will be going to disneyland in anahiem. not me. to hot and crowded. maybe i will make a nice cool pasta salad. yours does sound wonderful cj. you to karen, i am hungry for something lemon. maybe a lemon pie, using eagle brand.
my son called and invited me to a bbq at his house. he has a swimming pool so all my grandkids like to go there. still making pasta salad but will take it with me.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
No cooking for me this weekend. I have traveled the world and finally decided to visit one of our National Landmarks over the 4th of July weekend. Heading to see Mount Rushmore and the sites in and around the black hills. Any thoughts on good local restaurants? Have a happy and safe 4th!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

the firestation in downtown Rapid City has a great asiago cheese soup, sausages. Not sure what it's called, exactly, but it's in an old firestation.
As far as anything else, there are some tourist areas like Hill City and Keystone that are drenched with kitchy tourist places. There are several places in Deadwood, too, that Kevin Costner place, Midnight Star or something like that... (I don't know that he owns it anymore). Depends on what you want. Mt. Rushmore has a couple of cafeterias/eating options .

I've got a brisket marinating, not sure if we'll slow cook on the weber or do it indoors; it's been raining here. I just made a potato salad, using a buttermilk dressing I made a couple of days ago as the base. I've got small white beans soaking, and will throw in some leftover ham from the freezer and do slow-cooked beans with molasses, etc.
Dessert is a frozen torte:poundcake, strawberries, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, layered in a springform pan.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I am going to a small get together with my family and we all are in charge of a course. I have dessert and since there are kids, I am taking chocolate espresso crinkle cookies and I just got done baking a brownie bottom cheesecake. I also made an vodka cran-lemonade cocktail for us adults tomorrow night. Should be a great day!

Be safe everyone!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I just set the alarm for DH to get up at 1 to put the pork butt on the Big Green Egg for pulled pork tomorrow. We will have sides of Grits and Greens casserole, Slaw, Baked beans and deviled eggs. Cupcakes and Ice Cream with sliced peaches for dessert.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
No real plans. I am slow cooking Pulled Carolina Pork(don't bash me, I have neither the smoker or the skills any other way). Making Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Mac Salad. Some kind of YUMMY desert with peaches. This meal I can cook ahead and have a no stress day. If no one shows, I will just freeze the leftovers or feed some of my co-workers.

I decided on Peaches-N-Cream Cake. I only found 1 recipe that suited me, but it reads like a pound cake, so I am going to separate the eggs, whip the whites separate and fold in with the peaches.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #19
Executive Chef

gonna have me a cheese burger (pepper jack) with tomato on toasted angel flake bun, fresh white corn, and zucchini sticks (homemade). simple and yummy.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

made the pasta salad, bow tie pasta, small ones. chopped purple onion, cilantro, garlic, japlonia diced peppers. whole kernel corn, green olives. mixed up with a mexican Cesar dressing. also made a lemon cake. reg cake , baked then a sort filling from eagle brand milk, lemon juice, zest and egg yolks. spread on hot cake and bake ten more minutes. looks super. i love lemon desserts. may add more to salad in am but am done for now.