"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
What's Cooking? April 12, 2012

Today will be a cooking day for me.

So far, I've got a pot of 15 bean mix I started yesterday, with an added chicken thigh to make a chicken stock base. It's rested overnight, so today will be to add some of the pork meat from the shoulder I cooked previously.

I'm also trying some Pepperidge Farms stuffing with sausage casserole. I'm thinking I'll cook the whole package up and freeze a couple of portions and bake as the casserole after thawing.

I braised a nice 3# chuck roast the other day, and will use part to make a beef stew today, adding some regular size carrots and fresh celery. I think these carrots are tastier than the mini ones. Those take forever to get tender!

I also picked up another 10# chicken legs so I'll separate the drumsticks from the thighs and package for the freezer. I usually bag the drumsticks in a sandwich bag. As many as will fit in a bag is just the right amount for making a chicken soup/stock or even a dinner.

What are you cooking today?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
No leftovers from yesterday because we enjoyed supper at Glenn's daughter's house. It's chilled down a bit today (Possible frost last night, but I didn't see any evidence of it when I got up.), so I'm thinkin' it's a chili kind of day. I have a pound of ground pork I got on special at the market on Tuesday and I'll begin with that and then go wherever inspiration takes me. I've already taken out a loaf of homemade French bread from the freezer to go with and there's salad fixin's in the fridge. We'll have the last of the Easter blood orange cheesecake for dessert. That ought to do it for the two of us tonight.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I was planning on beef stew, but since we are now going over to our friends' house so James can fix their computer, we will probably be eating over there. So tonight's dinner is a mystery.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Cook
Whole grain capellini with marinara and garlic bread.
DebLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
I found a pair of very mignon filets in the freezer so that's what's for dinner tonight.

Not sure what the sides are. Still have some sesame noodles left or I could do a sweet potato. Neither one excites me with steak.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Master Chef
Salads for sure. I have some steaks I could cook. That was the original plan but the yungun is still in bed. Of course he didn't go there until around 6:30am. Not sure if he'll want steak for breakfast! I have enough stuff for grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with chips and dip and salads so that my be what happens.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Master Chef
Just found out it's National Grilled Cheese Day so the sandwiches will win for sure!
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Executive Chef
The Ottawa Senators vs. the New York Rangers for some playoff action tonight. I am doing up some wings, and my girlfriend is bringing a rack of ribs home from the deli, so its, rah rah rah!!!, gnaw gnaw gnaw!!
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Ham and cheese omelets at our house tonight.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Egg casserole of some sort. I cut a bunch of fresh chives, will maybe add a bit of blue cheese and whatever else I can find. Side of 6 bean salad.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote