What's Cooking March 13?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm trying out a new concoction today. I'm calling it Cheeseburger Broccoli Casserole

It's a layered casserole starting with ground beef, onion, with a little catsup mixed in, then a layer of cooked fresh broccoli. and smothering it al with a cheddar cheese sauce poured over the top.

What are you cooking?

Last edited:
I have a couple of pork chops I'll cook in the CI skillet. I'm going to try a recipe from ATK for Braised red potatoes with lemon and chives. A side of broccoli should round out the meal.

Quite tired after an early shift at work so did something simple.

Sausage, mash and peas.

Decided to jazz it up a bit and used some Oak Smoked Bacon and Stilton sausages. Gently fried some onion and made some Onion Gravy, minted the peas and used single cream and smoked cheese in the mash.
Mrs Wyshiepoo looked at it, grinned, and said "what, no Yorkshires"?

Grrrrrrr!

Sausage, mash and peas.

Decided to jazz it up a bit and used some Oak Smoked Bacon and Stilton sausages. Gently fried some onion and made some Onion Gravy, minted the peas and used single cream and smoked cheese in the mash.

Grrrrrrr!

:yum:

I think you should leave the dishes for the DW! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Sausage, mash and peas.

Grrrrrrr!

Oh yummy - sausage and mash. Any left?

I really should know better but I can't bear to waste food.

Tonight was freezer dinner - frozen roast potatoes, frozen French beans steamed and tossed in EVOO and garlic and - this is what I mean about knowing better - frozen Quorn black pepper fillets. I cooked them in the oven for 15 minutes as instructed by the packet. I thought it sounded a bit too long but hey - the manufacturers know best - NOT!

They came out of the oven like ship's biscuit. Rock hard! Even gravy wouldn't have redeemed them!

I don't eat a lot of Quorn but these were left over from when a veggie friend was coming to stay but then had to cry off. The mince isn't bad and is useful to have in for quick mock bolognaise with pasta.

Oh well, you live and learn and the glass of wine made up for a multitude of sins.

Full leftover night. Leftover herb-crusted pork roast, mashed sweet potatoes, asparagus, iced tea and blackberry pound cake.

Happy to have a night like this one because today has been so rainy and gloomy that cooking inspiration would have been difficult to muster.

Got some pork shoulder to make some Italian sausage, cut off a nice slab of pork to do up tonight, soaking it in a mix of spices, herbs, and red wine vinegar right now before doing a sweet and spicy dry rub and throwing it in the oven

Fried chicken, baked potato with sour cream and chives, and either steamed broccoli or edamame - haven't decided yet. :)

We were called to "grandparent duty" today taking care of our little Cheyenne at her house because she's sick (bad cold) and we're whooped big time, but in a good way.
I forgot how hard it is to teach a smiling sweet 15mo old baby how to "blow". What a wonderful day.

For dinner, we're having a bottle of wine, and whatever is in the refrigerator.;)

Hmm, wine seems to be a recurring theme here. Maybe I should join in...:cool:

Himself and I were running errands on a nice, sunny day. On the way home I was going over options I could do at home. Sainted Husband said "or we could stop at Foley's for fish". Oh, YUM! Foley and Son Fish and Chips is in Worcester, and is open only Fridays from something like 11 AM to 8 PM. Got a fish dinner (batter-fried cod, fries, coleslaw) and a pint of scallops. I had forgotten how delicious their seafood is. Next time we'll plan a run so I can make a goodly amount of coleslaw and my own dinner fries; all we'll get is their fish and scallops. Or clams. Or maybe shrimp...:yum:

BBQ pork ribs. After 5 hours on the Q. Perfect bite, seasoning & heat.

img_1413175_0_cc1f0e6dec59c3f1958880ae8a381928.jpg

img_1413175_1_d5f7eb43d10a9d8ca519c815dd628bba.jpg

img_1413175_2_e29571108412c37e97bbf071e1a7cb77.jpg

img_1413175_3_89601552c81442851321d074e9a3b7f1.jpg

Looks great, Joey. The mountain of snow has melted off my Weber. Maybe I can think about smoking again.

We were called to "grandparent duty" today taking care of our little Cheyenne at her house because she's sick (bad cold) and we're whooped big time, but in a good way.
I forgot how hard it is to teach a smiling sweet 15mo old baby how to "blow". What a wonderful day.

For dinner, we're having a bottle of wine, and whatever is in the refrigerator.;)

Aww, I hope little Cheyenne feels better soon, Kay. I'm sure your son and DIL feel very fortunate that they can call on grandma when they need to. :wub: Enjoy your wine and wind down time! :LOL:

We had a nice night out, and enjoyed dinner at a local restaurant called "Borough."

The food itself was great, but what I found striking is some of their plating. I've eaten at a lot of nice restaurants, but these guys had some of the best looking "food as art" presentations I've seen anywhere.

Beef tartare with black truffle and parmesan purees
img_1413200_0_532c57de23e603ea1a591bd1f7256a6a.jpg

Venison, butternut squash, Stilton cream (maitake mushrooms on the side, but not in photo)
img_1413200_1_a2bc805d0e9901c6ce1eefbcba08d7ff.jpg

Brussels Sprouts and Lamb Sweetbreads
img_1413200_2_4fa46efc33253808efa65acf4fd2d0cd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom