What's cooking Sunday the 22nd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
little chef, do you have a recipe for your brasciole?

pacanis, what's a chicago dog?

we went out to dinner to our favourite new (to us) italian joint tonight. we'd noticed for a long time that this little place in a strip mall was always so jammed, and always had a lot of older folks going there around 4 or 5pm.

a few weeks ago, we happily found out that they have a 4 course early bird specials menu for $14 per person, cash only. the portions are just right; no monstrous plates of mounds of food (unless you order from the regular menu), and you can't beat the price for the quality of the food nor service. our first time there was a hit, so we went back to see if we could catch lightning in a bottle.

we started with appys: dw had mussels in wine/herbs/garlic, my boy had bufala mozzarella en carozzo, and i had lumache fra diavolo (snails).

then we all had house salads.

for our entrees, dw had the potato crusted baked salmon, herb potatoes and sauteed veggies. my boy had chicken parm and fusilli, and i had veal pizzaola with fusilli.

for dessert, we each got a thin (just enough, not too much) slice of cake and shared: carrot cake, chocolate cake, and red velvet cake. and tea and coffee.

with drinks, the bill came to $54 after tax, $63 with tip.

a good deal, great food, and i'm still full. :pig:

These are the pics, the gravadlax was better than fantastic I had forgotten how much better than most smoked salmon it is.I boiled the crabs on Saturday my wife dressed them on Sunday afternoon as I was working in the garden, she is a demon crab cracker and I wanted to take some pics of her in action, you can see one of the finished crabs on the Table pic.
My first slow smoked rubbed Butt for cuban pulled pork was fantasmaclismo.
I drank ice cold stella artois cider they had a 2002 Rioja.
garden & BBQ 135.jpg

garden & BBQ 146.jpg

garden & BBQ 136.jpg

garden & BBQ 147.jpg

garden & BBQ 148.jpg

The steak, potatoes, and broccoli hit the spot. I had read in one of my old Cuisine magazines to cook cauliflower in milk to "kill" the strong taste. I do that with corn on the cob to draw out the sugar. So, I tried it with the broccoli. It might have just been because I'm tired, but I swear the flavor was "sweeter" and the texture more tender. Does anyone cook broccoli/cabbage/cauliflower in milk? And if so, why?

I cook asparagus, peas and cabbage in milk with a good knob of butter and plenty of black pepper.

Why, because my grandmother did:angel:

Cooking in milk is quite common with Pennsylvania Dutch and New Englanders. I assume because at times all they had was milk, vegetables and hungry kids:)

Last edited:
The Dutch farmer who owned the house we rented when we first moved to this area also was a "curbside" sweet corn producer. He told me to put milk in with the water and a dash of sugar, and to start the water before going out to the field. The best corn in my life was the corn that was 8 minutes from the field to the table. Best breakfast memories I have. The article said to save the water and use it in creamed veggie soups...I put it on the dogs' food last night because they were bugging me to eat and I wanted to eat in peace.

BT, someone (Jeekins) posted a Chicago dog here a loooong time ago. It has sautéed green peppers, onion and potatos on it, plus hot sauce. The potatoes really add a nice texture to the sandwich. Because the buns I made were rather small, I diced everything, but usually the potatoes are sliced like home fries. Heaven on a bun, lol.

Sounds like you found a nice little spot. One of these days you'll be able to get your senior citizen's discount there ;)

hmm, that's interesting. potatoes, green peppers, and onions on a hot dog was always called an italian hot dog around here. his description might be a jersey shore thing, since that's where he's from. the potatoes make it, though.

and yeah, they're awesome.

btw, i'm ok with the aarp discount, so long as i can shake my cane at those damn kids to stay off my lawn. :)

Hmmm... I'm thinking now that maybe I've got my terminology mixed up. Maybe it is an Italian hot dog. It's tough getting old. As long as I can still remember make it once in a while, I don't care what it's called. :)

TaxLady, if you're vehicle runs and you can pick me up on the way, I'll pay for gas! I'm sure there's enough there for two extra guests...
Actually, there is still some in the fridge. They came packaged in pairs, and we can only eat one and a bit, so there is almost a whole rack left. I'm at work today, so help yourself. Just don't touch my beer.....lol. Ok, you guys can share one.....:LOL:

Actually, there is still some in the fridge. They came packaged in pairs, and we can only eat one and a bit, so there is almost a whole rack left. I'm at work today, so help yourself. Just don't touch my beer.....lol. Ok, you guys can share one.....:LOL:

I'll bring beer. Do you like Alexander Keith's IPA?

Back
Top Bottom