What's for dinner? Friday, 10-2-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Pulled pork tacos here. I portioned and froze about half of that 8 pound pork roast I got the other day, and saved some for sandwiches, tacos, and nibbling.

What's everyone having this evening? :chef:

I saw a thing on Rachel Ray a few days ago where she made green bean "french fries", so I'm trying that. We also have various leftovers to finish up.

I'm finally braving the stairs with this dang gimpy knee to get down to the grill....oh how I've missed that grill! I thought about using the center CI grill on my new stove until I considered the mess. Anyway, we're having big beautiful rib eye steaks on the outdoor grill, salads and a baked spud for my honey. We also have a special bottle of wine chilling.

Last edited:
Daughter and SIL came over for dinner, so we had shrimp and corn gumbo (a rather light interpretation of gumbo) over rice, with a garden salad on the side, along with some roast garlic bread. My wife made an apple pie this afternoon for dessert.

I grilled some country-style ribs with a rub and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Made some roasted potatoes seasoned with onion, garlic, paprika, etc.

DH wanted to take me out to dinner tonight, so I let him ;) :wub:

We went to our favorite local Greek restaurant and I had my favorite dinner: a Greek salad with Pegasus wings - marinated and grilled chicken wings served with tzatziki sauce. So good! DH had a burger with seasoned orzo instead of fries and we shared fried calamari to start.

Attachments

• 1443832513378.jpg
    1443832513378.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 157
Nice looking plates, GG.

I made Italian sausage patties using this seasoning mix I found online. Himself declared it a "keeper". I think the next time I make it I'll amp up the seasonings just a little bit. Our side dish was escarole sauteed, then simmered with a bit of chicken broth and then generously covered with shaved Pecorino Romano. First time eating escarole - it was a little bitter to us. We decided we probably would enjoy it in a soup, though. Nevertheless, we still finished the pan of fixin's. It's amazing how good "on sale" ends up tasting. :LOL:

Attachments

• 2015-10-02 20.33.50.jpg
    2015-10-02 20.33.50.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 137
I have a finished crock of sauerkraut so I made Grandma Hazel's sauerkraut pie. Browned burger and onions, layer of sauerkraut, topped with mashed potatoes then baked.

We had a bunch of volunteer winter squash come up so we let them go. Baked an odd looking acorn-ish one for a side, along with a caprese salad. ..cherry tomatoes, fresh mozz, the last of the basil and a drizzle of white balsamic.

Two nights ago I learned of a local (TX and NM) dish that I had never heard of. Frito Pie. I went right home and looked in my 5 local cookbooks. No mention of Frito Pie. No, that is not what we had for dinner! We had a mess of potatoes, onions, roast beef, garlic and green beans for dinner tonight. We had frito pie at a restaurant last night and will have another version for lunch tomorrow.

We both were busy yesterday, so we did a dash by at the local Winn Dixie for some chicken thighs, criminis, white wine, zucchini and wide egg noodles. Coated the chicken thighs with a seasoned flour, sauteed until brown in some rendered fat and vegi oil, removed to rest. Sauteed sliced onions in the same pan, added sliced criminis. Deglazed with the wine and returned the chicken to finish cooking, along with some porcini powder and thyme. Served over the noodles with zucchini as a side.:yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom