What's for Dinner? Monday 22nd of October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should just bag it and tag it, then throw it into a large pot of water or your sink, or just nuke it at 30% (universal defrost setting.)
Or leave it in the fridge an extra day. :LOL:

I find that chicken is not ideal for defrosting in the microwave. I have had the wings and the ends of the legs cooked while defrosting more than once. Cooked that way, the meat is an unappetizing beige/grey colour.

Last night we made a recipe called Chicken Larb, which is basically chicken mince flavoured with curry paste and bits and pieces and served with salad...it was lovely and will certainly be having again :)
Sounds good! I'm pretty sure I've had that, maybe even cooked it myself. (During my month of Thai madness cooking Thai food every day for a whole month.

Even though it was a beautiful day, my friend "arthur-itis" decided to make my day a miserable one. Thank goodness there was a ton of vegetable-beef soup left.

We had the last of the vegetable-beef soup, the last of the cornmeal yeast rolls and iced tea. We were too full for dessert.

Sounds tasty to me Katie :)

Sorry to hear your arthritis is playing up, not good!

It wasn't as good as when I made shepherd's pie with ground lamb, but it was good and the salad turned out really good.

IMG_3339.JPG
Very nice pic!!! :) That's a lot considering it's 11 p.m. here and I can barely keep my eyes open.

Or leave it in the fridge an extra day. :LOL:

I find that chicken is not ideal for defrosting in the microwave. I have had the wings and the ends of the legs cooked while defrosting more than once. Cooked that way, the meat is an unappetizing beige/grey colour.
Ditto. Been there done that got the T-shirt, and I used the T-shirt for cleaning out my house.

I probably have posted my replies into one big multi-poast.... But anyway it's getting vey tired outside and I had better get going with my food shot or tomorrow will be too late. (Currently "tomorrow" is barely more than 12-15 hours...

So here's my food shot for the evening - pork chops braised in wine with pineapple curry sauce:
Ooh, looks good. Interesting effect with the white plate. I was wondering which plate you used and then had to look again, 'cause the plate melts into the white background.

yeah claire, your chicken livers really made my taste buds perk up on a day that nothing else was stirring my appetite at all. thankfully, i have very few days like this--with no appetite. do you serve your livers with a straightforward garden salad, claire?

First of all, I have to confess that after spending all day making autumn soup for not just us but some very sick friends, I copped out. The livers will be tomorrow or the day after (they were frozen).

That said, yes, just a very simple lettuce garden salad, dressed with a simple oil & vinegar dressing. Then the livers are cut (make sure to at least pierce the lobes or the damned things explode), flour, salt & pepper, and quickly fry in about a half inch of oil, turning once (if you happen to have a jar of bacon fat, which I do, that's ideal).

Drain on a paper towel, place on the salad, then sprinkle it all with balsamic vinegar.

A perfect topping for this is very crisp fried onions. Fortunately, nowadays you can buy several versions (even in my small town) in the produce sections with the croutons. But of course my husband likes it best when I do it myself:

Thin slice a good onion (ok, there aren't bad onions!). Let sit in a bowl of ice water for awhile (really doesn't matter how long, just to crisp it). Drain and dry a bit, then toss in the aforementioned flour, S&P. Put into the fat (before cooking the livers) at quite high heat, and pull out as they crisp and brown. Put on paper towels while you do the livers.

Salad on the bottom, then livers, then the balsamic, then the crispy onions.

Yumm yumm.

I did "pg slop" again. Left over milk pork, diced, kale, brussels sprouts, diced leftover baked potato, a laddle of leftover milk pork gravy, cranberry salsa. "Fried" it all up in a CI pan. It was very good. The bite of the salsa was a nice touch.

That sounds nice, what is in this pasta Craig?

Homemade Tasso (cajun cured and smoked pork. we use thin loin chops), zucchini, summer squash, carrots, onion, garlic, chicken stock, heavy cream, parmesan and a shaped pasta like gemilli. Extra grated parm over top, as you like. No need for spices, the tasso has enough to flavor the dish.

You really get me! Here I am up late and it turned 22nd just an hour ago. I'm still digesting dinner of the 21st! I haven't even had time to get indigestion yet! :D

I just don't know. Maybe you can tell me what I'm having tonight. I still have 18 hours to decide. :)

Tried to reply to your PM, you inbox is full. The Curry chop recipe looks devine and so easy! Will try it thanks :yum:

Homemade Tasso (cajun cured and smoked pork. we use thin loin chops), zucchini, summer squash, carrots, onion, garlic, chicken stock, heavy cream, parmesan and a shaped pasta like gemilli. Extra grated parm over top, as you like. No need for spices, the tasso has enough to flavor the dish.

Thank you so much Craig...will save this and give it a try :)

Back
Top Bottom