What's for dinner on the double nickle? 5-5-2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the regular cut, CG.

I wasn't going to... but I took a couple pics of my fajita fixings. Mainly to debunk a recent post I saw where it was said the only way to cook a perfect rare steak, one where it was pink all the way through and seared on the outside, was to slow cook it for hours in warm water. Thin pink line and overcooked outside? Whaaaat? ;)

This is some of the uber thick ribeye steak I grilled the other night using the reverse sear method. And now it's going to be fajitas :chef:

Attachments

• fajita steak.jpg
    fajita steak.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 165
  • fajita veggies.jpg
    fajita veggies.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 157
Yeah well, I'll trade you a hundred pics of something for a slice of that pizza, llol.

And kudos to you, Rock. That is the first pizza I've ever seen cooked on a cookie sheet. Just goes to show we tend to overthink things too much. A cookie sheet. Perfect.

Roch, that pizza looks yummy. Pac, that steak looks perfect.

We ordered out. Stirling ordered pizza and I got a souvlaki platter. I might be up for cooking tomorrow night.

My neighbour called awhile ago, knowing I wasn't feeling great, and said she was bringing over some food for me. I said not to bring a lot, I had eaten with TB at noon and don't have much of an appetite.

She came over with a casserole containing a concoction of string hash browns, mushrooms, onions, bacon and asparagus, all crispy, with aged white cheddar melted over top. She left out eggs in mine, which she put in for her family as she knows I don't eat a lot of them. It was just what the doctor ordered. I ate two large helpings and have some left for a snack.

Rocklobster, your soup and pizza looks so good - that pizza is calling me, I love the little toasty edges. Pac, your rib eye looks perfect - reminds me I haven't had fajitas in way too long. Peppers looks great too....:yum:

All of these dinners I'm reading through tonight sound so good. :yum:

2 cheese enchiladas, Spanish rice, and refried beans. Plenty of green onion and cilantro. Guacamole and a Corona on the side that didn't make it into the picture. :yum: There's enough for another meal or two, I didn't overdo this time. :ermm::LOL: Happy Cinco de Mayo!

img_1361503_0_f24efa84a975ff0c35e1a59f8424ac50.jpg

I'm heading to Cheryl's. She said there was enough for 2 meals.

Oh boy! Cheryl that Cinco de Mayo meal looks great, much more interesting than mine! Great looking Pizza Rock, and Pac I bet those fajitas were tasty!
We had Picadillo soft tacos
refried beans guacamole and chips.
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1399344350.119890.jpg

Last edited:
Dawg...:ROFLMAO: Thank you. :)
Bunny, that meal looks wonderful, I love tacos. I almost made them tonight but I just had fish tacos a couple of nights ago. :)

Thanks Cheryl, I wanted to do Mexican tonight, but my time was limited (work day) I found some pieces of mystery meat in the freezer ( it turned out to be pot roast chunks). I tossed it in the crock pot with some onions, garlic, a tomato, a hand full of cilantro, some spices and a little V8 juice for moisture. It worked great for soft tacos. I used the leftovers with some refried beans to make some burritos for another night.

Well, I didn't take a picture tonight, but I tried a recipe I saw on ATK this weekend for pork tacos al pastor. It was pretty good but, like a lot of their recipes, kind of fussy. They insisted on using pork butt, but I had some loin chops, so that's what I used.

Recipe here (I apologize in advance for the idiotic popup)...
Spicy Pork Tacos (al Pastor) Recipe - America's Test Kitchen

Next time I'm simplifying things with canned tomatoes and skipping the step that calls for "crisping it up on the grill". Didn't add much, in my opinion. I could have achieved the same result in less time by quickly stir frying the meat.

All these Mexican themed dinners... I had forgotten all about it being Cinco de Mayo :wacko: I'm sure I could have found room on my plate for some enchiladas and tacos, too :yum:

Fajitas on the grill.

Attachments

• veggies on grill.jpg
    veggies on grill.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 198
  • grilled fajitas.jpg
    grilled fajitas.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 198
Back
Top Bottom