"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Master Chef

What's for dinner? Sunday, August 24th

Spaghetti and meatballs, and garlic toast. Daughter and grandson are coming for dinner, grandson's fave is spaghetti, and I didn't have enough notice to make a long simmering spaghetti sauce. This is one of those times I'm glad to have a stash of Trader Joe's bottled pasta sauce. At least the meatballs are homemade.

What's on everyone's menu for this evening?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We were not having a hungry night so just had a light meal of franks and beans.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Master Chef

What's for dinner? Sunday, August 24th

Dinner was rather frustrating today. I was at the store and asked the butcher what would be good for Shish Kebab. He recommended something. It was so chewy, my parents could not eat it at all. I do not like beef to begin with and when you get a lousy piece it's even worse. I hate when people do that. There was a counter full of meat, I was willing to buy any. If you do not know it say so. Grr. I think this belongs in venting. Though everything else was great.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Cook's Country Italian Pot Roast

Name:   italian pot roast.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  12.5 KB

Name:   italian pot roast 1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  11.4 KB

Name:   italian pot roast 2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:   italian pot roast 3.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  13.6 KB

YUM!
We ate earlier, seeing as this was a little heavy, but so worth it!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
This week our Kroger had a super special on bone-in pork loin chops, so I bought a nice big tray of them. Glad I did because they are/will be great.

We had garlic-seasoned and grilled pork chops, steamed Italian green beans (from the garden, of course), a big platter of quartered tomatoes and cucumbers (also compliments of the garden), iced tea and for our big finish zucchini cake, which was soooo good and a product of the garden as well. Or as our grandson would say, "Crops from our land."

I'm pleased there are still 6 pork chops left because the ones we had tonight were as tender and juicy as we could have wanted. Yeah!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

Stuffed peppers and cabbage salad.

This morning a young man was selling his home grown produce at the flea market. I bought four nice peppers and four nice tomatoes for a total of $2.00. I don't see how he can grow the produce, harvest it, drive it to the market, pay the rent on his stall and still make a living. I think I know the answer, it made me sad.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Dinner was rather frustrating today. I was at the store and asked the butcher what would be good for Shish Kebab. He recommended something. It was so chewy, my parents could not eat it at all. I do not like beef to begin with and when you get a lousy piece it's even worse. I hate when people do that. There was a counter full of meat, I was willing to buy any. If you do not know it say so. Grr. I think this belongs in venting. Though everything else was great.
Koobideh kebab made with ground meat are my favorite. But for a meat one I like Barg Kabob made with tenderloin.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I've got two 1lb meat loaves going. One for meatloaf and mashed potato's. One for soup and sandwiches night with tortilla chicken soup. I'm hoping to stretch this combo for three nights with a marinated tomato and cucumber salad on the side.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We found some beautiful halibut at the fish store today. I cooked them on the grill pan and topped them with a yummy salsa of corn, tomato, tomatillo, red onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice. Green beans simmered in water and lime juice seasoned with taco seasoning on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408930001528.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	21741  
Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i knew i shouldna looked here. i'm so hungry.

gg, man that looks good. haven't had halibut for a long time. great and healthy idea to top it with fresh salsa. gotta remember that now that the garden is in its fruition.

kgirl, yer killin' me. the pot-a-roast italiano (with the extra a) looks great as well.

lol, what i mean by the. extra "a" is that immigrant italian americans very often add vowels to words, so meataballs, or pot-a-roast is more authentic.

ok, well i worked 17 hours today, went home for 4 hours, and now i'm back in for another 12.

rats on wheels have better lives.

so i'm having take out chinese: a fried half chicken (freshly fried. not one of those chickens par fried at 11am, then again at 4pm) smothered in hot/sour sauce with veggie fried rice. it's not leftovers fried rice, but it's good.

at 350, a small half chicken takes between 18 and 20 minutes to cook in their deep fryer, but it's worth the wait.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner