What's for Dinner, Sunday, January 3rd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
I know it's not going to be ANY of the left-overs in my fridge!! I am craving a bowl of mac and cheese...

Hey Elf, good to see you! Funny, I have been craving Mac and cheese as well. I think I will make it using the last of my leftover ham!

Chied Fricken......
Rice 'N' Gravy......
Pink-Eye Purple Hulls.....
Steamed Broccoli........
Corn Bread......
Bread 'N' Butter pickles...Sliced Onions...
Cake......

SierraCook, that sounds delish! I think I am going to be forced to make gnocchi today. My youngest is having a craving. I think left to my own devices I'd be having salad.

SierraCook, that sounds delish! I think I am going to be forced to make gnocchi today. My youngest is having a craving. I think left to my own devices I'd be having salad.

I have never made or had gnocchi before and when I had some the other night for the first it was pretty good. Here is the recipe for the Ground Beef Chop Suey, if anyone would like it.

Ground Beef Chop Suey

1 lb. ground beef
1 large onion cut into 6 wedges
3 medium ribs celery cut into ¼ inch pieces
1 14 oz. can beef broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 lb. fresh bean sprouts
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup water

In large skillet brown ground beef. Drain. Return beef to skillet with onion, celery, beef broth, and soy sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes until onions and celery are crisp and tender. Add bean sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through. Stir in cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Serve over white rice. Makes 4 servings.

Thanks SC! That looks like real comfort food to me.

I'm now trying to decide what kind of sauce to make for the gnocchi. Tomato based? Cream based with cheese? Bearnaise? Decisions decisions.

Yes, ricotta and flour. An old girl friend gave me the recipe.

A one pound tub of full fat ricotta, then a ricotta tubful of flour, an egg and a half teaspoon of salt.

How about boiling the gnocchi then just browning then lightly in olive oil flavored with sage and garlic?

OMG the ricotta thing sounds fantastic! And the butter/sage thing is a no go here. Since its for my kiddos it has to be one of the options I mentioned.

OMG the ricotta thing sounds fantastic! And the butter/sage thing is a no go here. Since its for my kiddos it has to be one of the options I mentioned.

Yikes! Just in case the cream sauce with cheese isn't rich enough, you also serve the gnocchi with hollandaise??

I like the cheese sauce idea.

Thanks for the recipes SierraCook and Andy M!!! Alix, don't ask me why but I can't stand gnocchi with tomato-based sauces!! Cream or butter for me...thanks...I'll be right over!

I make a potato/choux gnocchi that seems to be a favourite. Way back a member who was visiting Vancouver came over and I taught her how to make it. It is very light. I do the others as well, but this is my favourite.

As for sauce, Elf, I am your opposite. I am not a fan of tomato on most things except gnocchi. Just a very thin smooth marinara and some parmesan.

Now you all have me wanting to make that but my leg is swelling again and I have doctor's orders to keep it up. I think I will stick to Mac and Cheese cause DH can help me prep before he goes to work.

Yikes! Just in case the cream sauce with cheese isn't rich enough, you also serve the gnocchi with hollandaise??

I like the cheese sauce idea.

LOL Andy! You would understand if you met my kiddos. My youngest is going to be 14 shortly and just weighs barely over 90lbs. Has a metabolism that won't quit and LOVES food. So yep, gnocchi has to be with something pretty rich.

I'm thinking I'll likely go with a quattro formaggio, and open a jar of tomato sauce for anyone who wants something lighter. (Like me!)

LOL Andy! You would understand if you met my kiddos. My youngest is going to be 14 shortly and just weighs barely over 90lbs. Has a metabolism that won't quit and LOVES food...

I used to eat like that when I was 14 too. Even though I haven't been under a hundred pounds since elementary school. Tell him to enjoy it while he can.

I used to eat like that when I was 14 too. Even though I haven't been under a hundred pounds since elementary school. Tell him to enjoy it while he can.

Her. And I will tell her. I hate to say it but I suspect she will be like this her entire life. Takes after her Dad's side not mine the little booger.

Back
Top Bottom