What's for Dinner? Tues, March 3rd, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I'm not cooking tonight. I'm excited because we are going out to try a new restaurant called Spoon and Stable in downtown Minneapolis with friends. It opened to great fanfare recently, and I had to make reservations in two months in advance. The chef/owner is a guy named Gavin Kaysen. He's a James Beard award winner, contestant on Next Iron Chef, occasional judge on Top Chef, and defeated Michael Symon on Iron Chef America a few years back. He's also represented the US at the Bocuse D'Or. Not bad for a kid who used to make sandwiches at Subway.

Despite all this, I've heard the food described as "not pretentious" and the prices seem relatively reasonable. Everything on the menu is under $30.

Last edited:
Steve, I just looked up their website - what a fabulous looking restaurant, and that menu! :ohmy::yum: Have a great time.
https://www.spoonandstable.com/, so the link is handy for anyone else that's curious. :)

Tonight's dinner will include broccoli, cauliflower, and an avocado, since those need to be used. I'll probably just end up roasting the veggies with some garlic, and having an avocado sandwich on pita.

I'll be sauteing the mini mushrooms I got last week and adding them to Alfredo sauce, then mixing in whole wheat pasta. Big salads to go with to fill us up before we start scarfing on the fattening food. :yum:

I'm not cooking tonight. I'm excited because we are going out to try a new restaurant called Spoon and Stable in downtown Minneapolis with friends...
"Bacon Wrapped Monkfish". Monkfish isn't something you see every day anymore. "Bacon Wrapped Anything", on the other hand...:LOL: Whatever you chose, pictures and a review would be nice. Enjoy!

My apologies - Steve had already put the link to the restaurant in his first post. I don't know how that slipped by me, then it was too late to edit it out.... :wacko: :huh:

I found some really juicy and good tasting tangerines at the store yesterday.

I also bought a larger sized pork loin than I normally buy, on sale. Partially froze it and carved off a half dozen pork chops.

Tonight I am pan grilling a pork chop and roasting some sliced carrots and Brussels sprouts. I was thinking potatoes too, but now I think not.

I want to put together a tangerine, rosemary, garlic sauce with maybe a touch of Dijon. Can't decide if its for the veggies or the pork chops.

I found a deal on eggplant, so it's eggplant Parmesan on onion rolls with Swiss cheese and bacon strips. I whacked up some Iceberg lettuce and added sliced radishes, red onion, sliced roma tomatoes, leftover black olives and sprinkled cilatro over it.

The dressing was herbed Italian and oil. Yummmmmmmmm!

Had leftover stew & made some beignets.

img_1411797_0_287dc251b6ee2572283de8705a7e4693.jpg

It was leftovers here. Repeat of the Salisbury steak and mashed taters with a side salad. I found a new blue cheese vinagrette dressing that I really like!

I'm not cooking tonight. I'm excited because we are going out to try a new restaurant called Spoon and Stable in downtown Minneapolis with friends.
The food was excellent, although it did seem a little Iron Chefy. I guess that's to be expected. Portion sizes were also fairly decent, compared to similar places we've been to.

From top to bottom:

1. Grilled Foie Gras appetizer with forbidden rice, celery root, apricot, pistachio

2. Star Prairie Trout, with roasted cauliflower, gremolata, olives, brown butter

3. Roasted Duck Breast, sprouted buckwheat, winter radish, blood orange, foie gras sausage

I also had a real nice side of grilled wild mushrooms.

img_1411802_0_6eb281db5c01e395cf296b47b6fa15a3.jpg

Iron Chefy or not, those plates look delicious and beautiful! When I glanced over the menu, the trout was what caught my eye. Looks like one of you was hooked too.

Joey, those beignets look wonderful! :ohmy: I could sure go for one right now with my coffee.

Steve - your dinner pics are mouthwatering. :yum: Glad to read the good review.

Back
Top Bottom