"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Master Chef

What's for dinner? Wed. 7-29-15

I'm in the mood for fish, so I went freezer diving and found a vacuum sealed mahi mahi filet. The plan is to simply pan fry it with a little s&p, and finish with some fresh lemon juice. Fresh fruit and veggies on the side. Too hot to cook anything more than that today.

What's everyone having this evening?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

Pizza.

In fact, it will probably be our meals for a few days. We had company for lunch, a friend who has been away for a year and a half and is going back on Friday. TB didn't want me to cook so he ordered five different small pizzas - for four people (and I only eat about 2 slices at a time these days!).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Not much. We used a gift certificate we received @ Christmas to go to lunch at a very nice restaurant. SO had a $16 cheese steak sandwich that used a popover for the bread and called it a panini (yuk). I had a $14 burger with cheese tomato and lettuce. It was good.

As a result of all that food, we're not really hungry will graze to kill any hunger pains.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

$14 for a "good" burger, Andy? Sheesh. I hope the service and atmosphere were worth the price of that burger.

If I don't get busy soon, we'll have nothing for supper. I did strip the rest of the meat from the rotisserie chicken I bought for the lettuce cups on Monday. Maybe some sort of salad. Too hot to even think of eating, no less cooking something hot, and that's with the central air running. Summer is not my friend...
Old 07-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Tonight is habenaro mango sausage, fried green tomatoes (from the garden. I love how they smell), corn on the cob and pickled veg.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm trying to eat out of the freezer, since we have so much meat in there. Haven't bought meat in a couple of weeks now.

Anyway, we had a few brats in there, so I thawed them and they're sitting in a mixture of sauerkraut, coarse ground mustard, and lager in a disposable aluminum pan. The plan is to heat it to simmering on the grill, simmer for 20 minutes, then grill the sausages for a few minutes to brown. I'm also making German potato salad.

It just occurred to me that I can do this in my cast-iron skillet and not use a disposable pan. Next time.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wasn't up for cooking, so we ordered from Mr. Falafel. It was
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

I did this recipe I left on the Today's Harvest thread. Summer Vegetable Pie

I used zucchini, corn,green onions,grape tomatoes for the veggies and used Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream in the recipe. It cooked up beautifully, but I thought it needed "something" else, so I frosted the top of veggie pie with basil pesto (from TJ's) before serving. It's a real keeper of a recipe, especially with the pesto topping.

I grilled some Bockwurst to go with the pie.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
Master Chef

Been having cravings for tomato soup.So that's what I had, with grill cheese sandwich. Not very happy with bread, all I had simple sandwich bread at home. Oh, well. Still was good.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
Head Chef

I made my no clean up oven baked bb-q wings tonight.
Notice the 7" x 7 3/4" drying rack? It fits inside an aluminum
brownie pan. I tear off a sheet of foil that covers the bottom, then tear
off another short piece of foil and crimp it over the 7 x 7 rack rungs.

That showed cooling rack which fits inside the brownie pan which is 7" x 7 3/4" You can't buy them anywhere now . I've looked everywhere. Mine must be 40 years old, from my parents.

It fits perfectly inside the foil brownie pan. Delicious oven baked bb-q wings and no clean up, just remove the two foil sheets and toss them. Don't gimme grief about waste.
It's two small sheets of aluminum foil. The foil brownie pan gets reused, of course. It got "lined" with a short piece of foil to catch any drippings.

Tags
dinner