"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #41
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
One of the biggest problems is eating habits. Most people, even the ones that aren’t obese, eat too quickly. If everyone slowed down in the eating, they’d taste more, enjoy the food more, and eat less. Also, as it’s been said, you should never eat for time or tongue......always eat for the tummy. If you only eat when you are truly hungry, and then eat slowly, you can better control your weight. But a lot of people have gotten into the habit if eating because “it’s time”.
This seems like a resonable argument as a factor.

May I just say I don't know why some of you seem to think I'm trying to dismiss personal culpability. I haven't said that at all! I do think that there are factors that make some groups more succeptable to becoming overweight and/or obese than others.
__________________

__________________
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #42
Executive Chef
 
redkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,200
Keltins post is almost the same thing my nutritionist said to me. Eat slower and your stomach will tell you when its full. She also told me to not eat more than you can fit with your two hands cupped together. Also, ever since I have made my portions smaller I have had less digestive issues.
__________________

__________________
Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #43
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom
I did a research project as an undergraduate geography student studying the spatial distribution of supermarkets in Austin, Texas. This is a pretty good web site too:

Home Page

The web site is for the UK, but it contains several studies. I'll do some research and come back to post links. You're right though, the OP should have given a link.
A. Wrong country.
B. Their "study" on how obesity is related to income is in the UK only.
C. The city of Austin is not a sociologic or demographic model for the entire country.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #44
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Here's a statistic for you taken from the following site:

Obesity rising in all income levels, especially among the rich

National Income-Obesity Statistics
That's an interesting study. It would be interesting to see one that compares differing education levels.
__________________
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #45
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom
May I just say I don't know why some of you seem to think I'm trying to dismiss personal culpability. I haven't said that at all! I do think that there are factors that make some groups more succeptable to becoming overweight and/or obese than others.
What factors? I don't think I've gotten a good picture of what your logic is? Can you give some more details?

That is, if you say it is income related, WHY? If it has to do with education, then WHY?
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #46
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom
This seems like a resonable argument as a factor.

May I just say I don't know why some of you seem to think I'm trying to dismiss personal culpability. I haven't said that at all! I do think that there are factors that make some groups more succeptable to becoming overweight and/or obese than others.
Your argument is that income and education plays a large part in obesity. My argument towards that statement is that it is not as big of an influence as you may think. My cited reference supports that.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #47
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Your argument is that income and education plays a large part in obesity. My argument towards that statement is that it is not as big of an influence as you may think. My cited reference supports that.
You cited income and yes, it appears that income is becoming less of a factor. I haven't seen one regarding education, but my guess is that it would follow the trend of the income study. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not questioning "conventional wisdom."

Still waiting on the Original Poster to cite the stats given.
__________________
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #48
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom
That's an interesting study. It would be interesting to see one that compares differing education levels.
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. Educated, does not correlate to intelligence. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #49
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.
Heh....it could even be argued that going to college leads to obesity! Look at the junk food they eat in college and in the dorms!
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #50
Senior Cook
 
Chipotle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.
I'm speaking from a statistics standpoint, which deals with sample groups. You seem to be stuck on individuals, which don't matter as much when you're looking at statistics samples.

As to what I consider "educated", it doesn't matter. Whoever does the study determines that, not me. I don't want to pick a fight, and I'm getting quite frustrated with your tone, so I don't think I'm going to respond to this thread any more. It seems to have turned into a threat to talk about how "nobody wants to take responsiblity for themselves anymore", and I'm really not interested in having that sort of discussion.
__________________

__________________
Chipotle Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.