"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
One of the biggest problems is eating habits. Most people, even the ones that aren’t obese, eat too quickly. If everyone slowed down in the eating, they’d taste more, enjoy the food more, and eat less. Also, as it’s been said, you should never eat for time or tongue......always eat for the tummy. If you only eat when you are truly hungry, and then eat slowly, you can better control your weight. But a lot of people have gotten into the habit if eating because “it’s time”.
This seems like a resonable argument as a factor.

May I just say I don't know why some of you seem to think I'm trying to dismiss personal culpability. I haven't said that at all! I do think that there are factors that make some groups more succeptable to becoming overweight and/or obese than others.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Keltins post is almost the same thing my nutritionist said to me. Eat slower and your stomach will tell you when its full. She also told me to not eat more than you can fit with your two hands cupped together. Also, ever since I have made my portions smaller I have had less digestive issues.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom
I did a research project as an undergraduate geography student studying the spatial distribution of supermarkets in Austin, Texas. This is a pretty good web site too:

Home Page

The web site is for the UK, but it contains several studies. I'll do some research and come back to post links. You're right though, the OP should have given a link.
A. Wrong country.
B. Their "study" on how obesity is related to income is in the UK only.
C. The city of Austin is not a sociologic or demographic model for the entire country.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #44
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Here's a statistic for you taken from the following site:

Obesity rising in all income levels, especially among the rich

National Income-Obesity Statistics
That's an interesting study. It would be interesting to see one that compares differing education levels.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #45
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
May I just say I don't know why some of you seem to think I'm trying to dismiss personal culpability. I haven't said that at all! I do think that there are factors that make some groups more succeptable to becoming overweight and/or obese than others.
What factors? I don't think I've gotten a good picture of what your logic is? Can you give some more details?

That is, if you say it is income related, WHY? If it has to do with education, then WHY?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
This seems like a resonable argument as a factor.

Your argument is that income and education plays a large part in obesity. My argument towards that statement is that it is not as big of an influence as you may think. My cited reference supports that.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Quote:
Your argument is that income and education plays a large part in obesity. My argument towards that statement is that it is not as big of an influence as you may think. My cited reference supports that.
You cited income and yes, it appears that income is becoming less of a factor. I haven't seen one regarding education, but my guess is that it would follow the trend of the income study. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not questioning "conventional wisdom."

Still waiting on the Original Poster to cite the stats given.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
That's an interesting study. It would be interesting to see one that compares differing education levels.
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. Educated, does not correlate to intelligence. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #49
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.
Heh....it could even be argued that going to college leads to obesity! Look at the junk food they eat in college and in the dorms!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
It doesn't matter, just like the statistics for income shows that it's doesn't matter. What's considered "educated"? A college graduate? There are many people who never went to college and are smarter than those who did. And even if the possession of a college degree was the deciding factor, in no way would that determine if you're smart enough to know that you can't fit into those size 34 pants anymore.
I'm speaking from a statistics standpoint, which deals with sample groups. You seem to be stuck on individuals, which don't matter as much when you're looking at statistics samples.

As to what I consider "educated", it doesn't matter. Whoever does the study determines that, not me. I don't want to pick a fight, and I'm getting quite frustrated with your tone, so I don't think I'm going to respond to this thread any more. It seems to have turned into a threat to talk about how "nobody wants to take responsiblity for themselves anymore", and I'm really not interested in having that sort of discussion.