"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #81
Executive Chef

With the issues going on in everyone's life, with the problems that we all face today, I think it's a soothing and easily accessible pacifier to most.
Putting something in your mouth that tastes good, and all that is available and often times at record prices meaning very inexpensive, it's extremely doable.
What baffles me is that these very ones that are overly huge, don't seem to take into account that they're ruining their bodys and the potential for a long and healthy life. Plus, how about trying to stay as healthy as you possibly can for your family?
If it's that you don't have the support you need, that's out there also.
Just my NSHO

Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #82
Sous Chef

True.

Many people also frequently eat when they arent even hungry.

Wayy too many "empty" calories.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #83
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
It's all Ina Garten's fault!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Well, you're wrong. What's more, some of us are spending our working hours on line. I understand it would be more comfortable and convenient for you if we remained invisible; many will because of hope, denial, or embarrassment. The fact is, nigh on forty million of us interact with you every day.
Uh, you are making assumptions about me that I don't appreciate, Skilletlicker. If I'm to assume by this post that you live at the poverty level, and you have the accesss to the internet at work, well, then, how nice for you. I'm not sure who you are referring to as the forty million who interact with me. I don't actually know what you are talking about.

I disagree that I am wrong. Again, I don't appreciate your assumption about me.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #85
Senior Cook

Now this was an interesting thread to read!
Without getting into any of the arguements, let me just mention a few things I noticed.
I was raised on home cooked food, so were my kids. My first kid, who was thin all his life, started college and lived on the cheapest convinience food he could find. He gained a LOT of weight.
I gave him a hand written cookbook, with all the recipes he grew up on. He started cooking . He lost weight and figured it was even cheaper than all the stuff he used to buy before.
My daughter and her friend had their babies about the same time. The kids had their first birthday party together. The friend's little girl only wanted to eat the cupcakes or anything sweet available ( and so did the other kids). My grandson has not even tried anything sweet yet at the time, so he went for veggies.
That said friend cooks, kind of like Paula Deen. A can of this, a box of that, doctor it up, dinner's ready.
For snacks her kid has every kind of sweets available, along with sodas and juices from the carton.
She is a well educated girl, certainly not poor.
My daughter cooks from scratch, my grandson drinks water, has not tried a piece of candy yet and eats a bit of home made cookie sometimes, not on a daily bases.He is almost 3 now.
Standing in line in the store I watch what ppl have in their carts. Interesting, heavy people have the most convinience food there, lots of chips, lots of sodas, hardly ever lots of veggies.
Don't know what their education or financial cituation is.
I have to watch my pennies and cook from scratch. Not only because that's how I was raised and to me everything I cook tastes better than anything from a can, box or frozen dinner tray, but I find it a lot cheaper too.
Do I have a point? I think the reason is probably old habits. America is about convinience and let's face it, it is a lot faster, easier to get something ready made than think about what to cook and then do it too.
Then put the kid in front of the tv for hours with a bag of something. That's convinient too.
How do you think that little girl will run her life when she grows up?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #86
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
It's all Ina Garten's fault!
no kidding, HELLO? she has no kids tho right? her husband works in the city a lot too and think he only comes homes on weekends. she has nothing else to do but cook for her friends and continue to pack on the lbs herself. often wondered if it's a marriage of convenience there, if so, not my business, just wondered. they seem very lovey...
Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #87
Executive Chef

I think it also starts with the parents they spoil their kids rotten you make them a nice meal and they want pizza or fries etc so the parents give in just to shut them up.Next game boys,tv, internet the kids dont go out and play like alot us older people did heck I never wanted to come inside until I was forced because its dark outside.A steady diet of bad food is addictive no matter what when I was a kid we were did not get sodas and kool aid ,sweet cereals etc but boy I craved all of it.A coke was a treat not part of the daily diet.When I was kid on saturday morning watching cartoons all we got was stupid oatmeal or cream of wheat with apple sauce when I knew darn well all my friends eating all the Captain Crunch they wanted I thought I was soo deprived .We were poor then so milk was stretched 1/2 milk 1/2 powdered milk.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #88
Head Chef

As a teacher in a middle school I see what the children buy with their money. Lots of chips, snack cakes and ice cream with the money given to them for lunch. They become mathmatical wizards with the dollar and buy every piece of junk available.

Breakfast served at school are high sugar cereal bars and a 3oz. serving of juice.

In general adults in this country just eat too much period regardless of status because they can. Shame.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #89
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l
As a teacher in a middle school I see what the children buy with their money. Lots of chips, snack cakes and ice cream with the money given to them for lunch. They become mathmatical wizards with the dollar and buy every piece of junk available.

Breakfast served at school are high sugar cereal bars and a 3oz. serving of juice.

In general adults in this country just eat too much period regardless of status because they can. Shame.
Unfortunately, those sugar cereal bars are what the kids will buy. If you put the cereal bars next to a grab and go container of wheaties....what do you think the kid will buy?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #90
Cook

I'm with Keltin on the fact that we should all slow down and enjoy our food, but I have a friend, that is morbidly obese and seh eats slower than most turtles I know. So she is definitely the exception to the rule.

And has anyone taken notice that PE (physical education) has nearly been elimintes in our schools? I mean whats up with that?

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote