"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
For Paul and I a QUIET place is very important.
We don't go out much and when we do we like it to be
a peaceful experience.

Good food is important
and so is service. I always order HOT WATER with lemon, Paul always gets cold water. For some reason his glass gets filled a million times but, I have to beg for more. I always tip more if the server brings me more water with out asking. I know it's a small thing but, it shows they care.

I like to be waited on but, I do NOT like overly friendly waiters. We used to go to the Outback Steak house but, quit because the servers would SIT at the table and chat when taking the orders. Sorry, I want to have dinner with my husband or friends not with a stranger......

Old 01-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I should probably amend my last post. I should say that it also depends on the type of restaurant we are eating at. If it is a classy place then I do expect the service and ambiance to be great, but if it is just a hole in the wall type place then it is all about the food.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef

pdswife, I went to Joe's Crab Shack once and the servers formed a conga line and encouraged the patrons to dance with them! C'mon, I'm trying to eat, not dance! :x
Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

Like hte majority of you, I think it's a combination of quality food and service. And for Dh and I, we have a couple of "oldies but goodies"--places where we can trust we'll always get what we expect. That's important to me--I want to know that it's worth the time and money to eat out and not be surprised or disappointed that the food/service aren't anything like they were the last time.

(And I agree--I hate the conga-line dancing/Happy Birthday song screeming wait staffs! )
Old 01-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
pdswife, I went to Joe's Crab Shack once and the servers formed a conga line and encouraged the patrons to dance with them! C'mon, I'm trying to eat, not dance! :x
That would have driven me CrAzY!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Executive Chef

For me, the quality of food is most important...because, after all, that is why I came to the restaraunt...for good food first. If the dish does not meet my expectations, i.e. over or undercooked, presentation, I think a good rule of thumb is to speak to the manager in a polite manner or perhaps write a letter in a kind way. I think the owner would appreciate knowing about patrons concerns.

If I'm looking for ambiance/setting, I would not necessarily expect a five star dinner...might just go for the cocktail or setting...although both would be a nice package. When I visit a restaurant & am very pleased with the dish, never hurts to go back & compliment the chef on his/her efforts to let them know they are appreciated.

If the service is not up to par, think management would be grateful to learn of patrons concerns, since, to me, that might me a reason why their business may be failing.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

1st = Cleanliness

2nd = Quality of food

3rd = Service..................hey if the place is clean and the food is awesome then you can bet I'll go there whether the service is great, average or poor. I generally tip graciously so treat me well and I'll tip you well......20 - 25 percent. However, on a scale of 1 to 5 and 5 being the very best:

5 = 20 % - 25%
4 = 2.00
3 = 1.00
2 or 1 = no tip...........no place should have servers that are on this level.

Service is polite and courteous..........no overthe top stuff though. Someone who promptly approaches my table and introduces themselves and asks me my beverage preference then gives me time to browse the menu. Someone who listens intently to my choices, someone who is knowledgeable about the menu and ingredients. Someone who asks me if I need a refill before my drink is 1/4 empty. Someone who asks if we need anything else when bring us our food. Someone who returns within a couple minutes after we received our food to be sure we didn't forget something we needed or to check if the food is to my liking. Then leaves us alone to eat till we are just about finished to return to see if we would care for anything else. Someone who promptly brings our bill after the main meal dishes have been cleared and we've refused dessert because we're always too stuffed. Now thats service to me. Something I would provide to my previous customers many years ago when I was a waitress.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Well put, SizzlininIN, maybe we should start a thread for ex-servers!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I check prices.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #20
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife1
For Paul and I a QUIET place is very important.

Good food is important
and so is service. I always order HOT WATER with lemon, Paul always gets cold water. For some reason his glass gets filled a million times but, I have to beg for more. I always tip more if the server brings me more water with out asking. I know it's a small thing but, it shows they care.

My father would always base his tip on how may times he saw the bottom of his coffee cup.