"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #21
Hospitality Queen

.....and who exactly made the decision that people want to be sung to on their birthday by the tone-deaf staff?

Old 01-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #22
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
.....and who exactly made the decision that people want to be sung to on their birthday by the tone-deaf staff?
I would like to know that too, jkath, take a 2x4 to their tone deaf ears.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
cleanliness, price, quality, atmosphere
Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
We eat out a lot...I just want good food, good service, and a clean restaurant.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:52 PM   #25

Erik makes a good point of a "clean" restaurant...whether it be a "greasy spoon" or "untidy" or "unequipped" washroom or whatever other unpleasant "discoveries" you might have experienced, this is probably one of the biggest...

Next, in my own opinion, would be the service...and I understand exactly what many respondents are trying to get at...from the "quarter empty glass" thing, to, umpteen years ago, pulling out a cigarette, after eating and finding a waiter at my elbow with a lighter, before I could dig my own out! Likewise, some "knowledge" of where they access their products, how its cooked, or, in the case of our allergetic son, what its cooked in...there's nothing worse than having a "grand family dinner" and experiencing your child going through "toxic shock", puking, choking, turning "blue", etcetera, because the service staff "didn't know" that their product was cooked in peanut oil, or that this can (and does!) literally kill, or that contact with "fish" products does only slightly less...

"Wine knowledge" on the part of a serving staff is likewise appreciated...they are supposed to know what's available...

If you want to eat at Red Lobster, East Side Mario's, or similar, you have to accept that these are "price driven" places, and some eaters are probably going there with a "purpose" of seeing a conga line of staff discordantly "singing" Happy Birthday to some "diner"...tho' I really have no complaint with the food at the pricing offered!

Lifter
Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #26
Sous Chef

We try to pick our restaurants accordingly, depending what we are in the mood for.

We try to stay away from buffets, "fad" chain restaurants,and fast food when we go out to eat.

With my "knowledge" of food, wine, drinks, running the front and back of the restaurants, I kinda keep a watchful eye, and ask a lot of questions.

I try to not make employees feel uncomfortable, but sometimes I mistakenly succeed, because I "help" them if they seem out of sorts, or know what's going on with what they are serving.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #27

Can we accompany you some night?

Would seem that it would be a real pleasure!

Lifter
Old 01-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #28
Sous Chef

That would be very cool!!! I try not to embarrass ANYONE...I wish that servers would be more open-minded, and learn. There are quite a few great ones. Sharp, and know their food, drink, cooking procedures, etc.

I work with a lot of servers, that are there to make a quick buck, so they can go out and party at the end of the night. Ignorance flows freely, and I really get angry when they turn their nose up at Black Bean Soup, because it's not Cream of Broccoli.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #29

If you'd called it "Navy Bean" soup, Erik, you'd have scored a 4.0 with me!

"Servers" "knowing" their "Chefs" and what was freshest and "best" out of the kitchen that night, what "went well" together....(if not "why"!)

Pity the servers seem seldom "exposed" to what "chef" can or cannot "do" within his/her restrictions...

If we can get together for dinner, bring your wife (as I will!) and will see if we cannot find the limit on my VISA! Expect you and I would have a WONDERFUL "post mortem" on just about any menu!

LOL!

Lifter
Old 01-11-2005, 01:20 AM   #30
Executive Chef

As much as I rip on Friday's, that is one of the cleanest restaurants you can find. The kitchen is taken down and scrubbed top to bottom every night, they employ a special crew for that.