"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-13-2006, 08:25 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Baked Squash

I am required to bring baked butternut squash to an annual Christmas pot luck. Sorry, no recipe, just some guidelines and ingredients list.

Choose the butternut squashes carefully, I go by color. If you are able to compare the butternuts, look for the ones that have the deepest golden color, not yellow or greenish. Cut a few in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down in baking dishes, I use 9x13 inch glass pans, add a bit of water to the pans. Bake at 350 degrees F, until soft, maybe up to one hour. Scoop out hot flesh into a bowl, stir in some real butter, some maple syrup and a bit of a nice cinnamon, say a cassia, Vietnamese or Ceylon cinnamon. Stir until mixed, turn into a pretty bowl, and dust with more cinnamon.

baked squash, about 2 quarts
butter, maybe 4 Tablespoons, or more
maple syrup, maybe 2 Tablespoons
cinnamon, about 1/4 teaspon in the squash and 1/4 t. sprinkled on top.

When ready to transport, I heat in the microwave to get it really hot and wrap in newspapers, then place in a cardboard box. If needed, I reheat at the party.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
thanks for the trip down memory lane, connie.
You're welcome, my friend, and hugs back at'cha. If you need a grandma, I'm up for adoption.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #33
Master Chef

Mine would have to be my broccoli salad. It's gone too quick and there's never any left overs. LOL. I have to put some aside before taking it to have some at home.
Surprising Broccoli Salad
Old 08-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #34
Sous Chef

My specialty is cheesecake, but I have competed in many, many chili competitions as well.

BC
Old 08-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina
My signature dish is beef enchiladas with a multi-pepper sauce including: dried chipotle, ancho and New Mexican peppers along with roasted poblanos. Roasted onions, garlic and tomatoes topped with a blend of Mexican cheeses. This is what they look like (not the actual picture of my dish).
I love homemade beef enchiladas and make good ones but the ingredients in yours sound fantastic. Please post the recipe because this is one I have to try. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:48 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Just sent you the recipe Andy M. and Drama Queen. Enjoy!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Dina! It looks delicious.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
If you can't find the peppers I listed, stick with southern peppers to make authentic Mexican enchiladas. Sometimes I even add a dried "pasilla" pepper (looks similar to the ancho) for added color and flavor to the sauce. Experiment with the sauce and feel free to add or substitute other peppers. Hope you enjoy the enchiladas.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #39
Executive Chef

stews and braises are my signature. be it a classic beef Burgundy, or a Ligurian rabbit stew, or perhaps a pot roast with wine and marjoram, or a lamb chili with cashews...If I can do it over time in a dutch oven or lidded casserole, I'm happiest...perhaps because in a small kitchen I can get everything to the table hot that way, perhaps because the whole house smells so good, or just because I grew up with using every scrap and bit and wasting nothing.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
My specialty is cheesecake, but I have competed in many, many chili competitions as well.

BC
Cheesecake for me too. And chili, but I've never entered in any serious competitions. Just at work and such. I never go home with either chili or cheesecake.

BlueCat, I challenge you...to a duel!

http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/movie_so...d_bad_ugly.wav