"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Great name for a restaurant, although I don't usually like chain restaurant's as such.I'd love to try their pea soup although home made is always so much better!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Half Baked

This thread made me want to make pea soup for NY day.
I had a big ham bone and lots of meat frozen from Christmas but when I went to the supermarket they had no split peas.BUMMER!

I got 2 bags of their mixed bean soup and used that instead.I can't complain.The results were awesome.

Happy New Year and "Peas be with you"

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

Fabiabi, Andersen's was not a chain in those days. The only place you could get it was Buelton, CA, outside of Solvang.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Alright, I feel a bit "nekked" here...I have NEVER tried pea soup - not opposed to it either, but, could someone please give me a "crash course" about this recipe? I like peas, even creamed peas..how does this recipe "stack up" to the mundane pea user??
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
Alright, I feel a bit "nekked" here...I have NEVER tried pea soup - not opposed to it either, but, could someone please give me a "crash course" about this recipe? I like peas, even creamed peas..how does this recipe "stack up" to the mundane pea user??
Check out this thread:

Split Pea Soup

I eat Split Pea Soup as often as I can!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
Executive Chef

have a ham, several days later comes pea soup and popovers. Loved it as a kid, love it now. Comfortfood! And yes I've been to Andersens and they make great pea soup. (oh and by the way, it's good for you!)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
Master Chef

Merlot, take 2 smoked ham hocks, or one ham bone. One chopped onion, one clove of garlic. Cover with water, stew until the broth has some good smoked flavor. Add a bag of dried split peas. Cook on low, stirring often (especially once it starts to thicken). As it thickens, add more water until at a consistency you like. Cook until almost smooth. This is a great crock pot recipe.

Options are when you add the peas, some grated carrot and diced potato. Not a lot, just enough for color and texture.

I like a little thyme.

This is one of those "no real recipe" foods, what I call cold-weather peasant food.

The only hard thing about this soup is you cannot let it burn. If it does, immediately pour into another pan. Do not try to rescue any sticking to the burned pan.

I always make huge batches to share with friends who cannot cook. Always reheat in a microwave oven if you have one. This becomes like a puree (Mom says it's cheating to blend or strain it, you have to do that all day thing) and really sticks and burns easily in reheating.

Mom always chants over it as she cooks: Pea Soup and Johnny Cake, Makes a Frenchman's Belly Ache!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Merlot, take 2 smoked ham hocks, or one ham bone. One chopped onion, one clove of garlic. Cover with water, stew until the broth has some good smoked flavor. Add a bag of dried split peas. Cook on low, stirring often (especially once it starts to thicken). As it thickens, add more water until at a consistency you like. Cook until almost smooth. This is a great crock pot recipe.

Options are when you add the peas, some grated carrot and diced potato. Not a lot, just enough for color and texture.

I like a little thyme.

This is one of those "no real recipe" foods, what I call cold-weather peasant food.

The only hard thing about this soup is you cannot let it burn. If it does, immediately pour into another pan. Do not try to rescue any sticking to the burned pan.

I always make huge batches to share with friends who cannot cook. Always reheat in a microwave oven if you have one. This becomes like a puree (Mom says it's cheating to blend or strain it, you have to do that all day thing) and really sticks and burns easily in reheating.

Mom always chants over it as she cooks: Pea Soup and Johnny Cake, Makes a Frenchman's Belly Ache!
Claire's "recipe" is right on. My signature is to take out a cup of the peas while still whole, but tender. I add them back just before serving for texture.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
Master Chef

Fiona, you and I always seem to be singing from the same sheet of music. When I want to make my pea soup have some different texture, I buy a bag of baby frozen peas and toss them in. Even my mother (who believes pea soup should almost be pureed in texture, but only because you cook it just right, don't actually puree it!) enjoyed the little change in texture. Don't do it every time, but just to throw a little curve. So it winds up being split pea soup with a spring pea twist. Haven't done it in years. Maybe I'll try it next time!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Fiona, you and I always seem to be singing from the same sheet of music. When I want to make my pea soup have some different texture, I buy a bag of baby frozen peas and toss them in. Even my mother (who believes pea soup should almost be pureed in texture, but only because you cook it just right, don't actually puree it!) enjoyed the little change in texture. Don't do it every time, but just to throw a little curve. So it winds up being split pea soup with a spring pea twist. Haven't done it in years. Maybe I'll try it next time!
I've done all sorts of things for different textures, a little barley maybe or some rice. I'm serious when I say I could eat it everyday. I love having a pot of it disintegrating on the stove. And it's economical.