"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 277
Great name for a restaurant, although I don't usually like chain restaurant's as such.I'd love to try their pea soup although home made is always so much better!
__________________

__________________
Fabiabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
This thread made me want to make pea soup for NY day.
I had a big ham bone and lots of meat frozen from Christmas but when I went to the supermarket they had no split peas.BUMMER!

I got 2 bags of their mixed bean soup and used that instead.I can't complain.The results were awesome.

Happy New Year and "Peas be with you"
__________________

__________________
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Fabiabi, Andersen's was not a chain in those days. The only place you could get it was Buelton, CA, outside of Solvang.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 161
Alright, I feel a bit "nekked" here...I have NEVER tried pea soup - not opposed to it either, but, could someone please give me a "crash course" about this recipe? I like peas, even creamed peas..how does this recipe "stack up" to the mundane pea user??
__________________
Midnight_Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
Alright, I feel a bit "nekked" here...I have NEVER tried pea soup - not opposed to it either, but, could someone please give me a "crash course" about this recipe? I like peas, even creamed peas..how does this recipe "stack up" to the mundane pea user??
Check out this thread:

Split Pea Soup

I eat Split Pea Soup as often as I can!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
have a ham, several days later comes pea soup and popovers. Loved it as a kid, love it now. Comfortfood! And yes I've been to Andersens and they make great pea soup. (oh and by the way, it's good for you!)
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Merlot, take 2 smoked ham hocks, or one ham bone. One chopped onion, one clove of garlic. Cover with water, stew until the broth has some good smoked flavor. Add a bag of dried split peas. Cook on low, stirring often (especially once it starts to thicken). As it thickens, add more water until at a consistency you like. Cook until almost smooth. This is a great crock pot recipe.

Options are when you add the peas, some grated carrot and diced potato. Not a lot, just enough for color and texture.

I like a little thyme.

This is one of those "no real recipe" foods, what I call cold-weather peasant food.

The only hard thing about this soup is you cannot let it burn. If it does, immediately pour into another pan. Do not try to rescue any sticking to the burned pan.

I always make huge batches to share with friends who cannot cook. Always reheat in a microwave oven if you have one. This becomes like a puree (Mom says it's cheating to blend or strain it, you have to do that all day thing) and really sticks and burns easily in reheating.

Mom always chants over it as she cooks: Pea Soup and Johnny Cake, Makes a Frenchman's Belly Ache!
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Merlot, take 2 smoked ham hocks, or one ham bone. One chopped onion, one clove of garlic. Cover with water, stew until the broth has some good smoked flavor. Add a bag of dried split peas. Cook on low, stirring often (especially once it starts to thicken). As it thickens, add more water until at a consistency you like. Cook until almost smooth. This is a great crock pot recipe.

Options are when you add the peas, some grated carrot and diced potato. Not a lot, just enough for color and texture.

I like a little thyme.

This is one of those "no real recipe" foods, what I call cold-weather peasant food.

The only hard thing about this soup is you cannot let it burn. If it does, immediately pour into another pan. Do not try to rescue any sticking to the burned pan.

I always make huge batches to share with friends who cannot cook. Always reheat in a microwave oven if you have one. This becomes like a puree (Mom says it's cheating to blend or strain it, you have to do that all day thing) and really sticks and burns easily in reheating.

Mom always chants over it as she cooks: Pea Soup and Johnny Cake, Makes a Frenchman's Belly Ache!
Claire's "recipe" is right on. My signature is to take out a cup of the peas while still whole, but tender. I add them back just before serving for texture.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Fiona, you and I always seem to be singing from the same sheet of music. When I want to make my pea soup have some different texture, I buy a bag of baby frozen peas and toss them in. Even my mother (who believes pea soup should almost be pureed in texture, but only because you cook it just right, don't actually puree it!) enjoyed the little change in texture. Don't do it every time, but just to throw a little curve. So it winds up being split pea soup with a spring pea twist. Haven't done it in years. Maybe I'll try it next time!
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Fiona, you and I always seem to be singing from the same sheet of music. When I want to make my pea soup have some different texture, I buy a bag of baby frozen peas and toss them in. Even my mother (who believes pea soup should almost be pureed in texture, but only because you cook it just right, don't actually puree it!) enjoyed the little change in texture. Don't do it every time, but just to throw a little curve. So it winds up being split pea soup with a spring pea twist. Haven't done it in years. Maybe I'll try it next time!
I've done all sorts of things for different textures, a little barley maybe or some rice. I'm serious when I say I could eat it everyday. I love having a pot of it disintegrating on the stove. And it's economical.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.