"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
They could ask the needy looking people to go around to the kitchen or another entrance.
R u serious?

Old 07-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #42
Master Chef

Depending on the community sending the needy to rear of the restaurant may not be good business practice. Word can get around among the needy folks and they may start loitering around the establishment.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Most companies would list it as charitable giving and write it off to tax.

Yes, if it was their idea to do it, not if their employees were doing it against company policy.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Depending on the community sending the needy to rear of the restaurant may not be good business practice. Word can get around among the needy folks and they may start loitering around the establishment.
Agreed. If I was an Owner or manager, I would not want to encourage loitering around my establishment. I would be willing to provide donations to a homeless shelter or kitchen, but I better not catch my employees giving away MY product.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Agreed. If I was an Owner or manager, I would not want to encourage loitering around my establishment. I would be willing to provide donations to a homeless shelter or kitchen, but I better not catch my employees giving away MY product.
We have that problem here with a lot of the Dunkin' Donuts. It is all old men, they get a cup of coffee, take up what few tables there are and then when management says something to them, they go outside and sit on the side of the building drinking their coffee. We call them the coffee brigade. The one down the square has a worse problem. Druggies hang out there. Every morning around eight a.m. the cops come and arrest them all. Just in time for them to appear in court and spend a few days in the hoosegow. Then they are back. DD now has a cop stationed inside the store and stops them even before they get in the door. There is a park across the street where they used to sleep at night. My part of Boston is not the only place with this problem. DD seems to draw all the undesirables. The drive-thrus' don't seem to have this problem. No parking, no inside service.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Okay, I hadn't considered the problems of giving food at the back entrance. It's just really sad that this is how people/companies have to deal with the inconvenience of hunger and homelessness.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #47
Sous Chef

I read through all the replies here, and thank you for saying I was kind.

Maybe it was theft, and I am sure many of you are right about it being theft. I'm also a veteran, retired Army, but my veteran status had nothing to do with helping that little lady.

She could be me someday. You never know what life will throw at you, know what I mean?

I hope Joe has learned a lesson and I'm sure he'll find another job and take this lesson with him. Next time, he should tell the person he wants to help what time he gets off and arrange a meeting place. Then he should buy that person what he needs, and there wouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 AM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We have that problem here with a lot of the Dunkin' Donuts. It is all old men, they get a cup of coffee, take up what few tables there are and then when management says something to them, they go outside and sit on the side of the building drinking their coffee. We call them the coffee brigade. The one down the square has a worse problem. Druggies hang out there. Every morning around eight a.m. the cops come and arrest them all. Just in time for them to appear in court and spend a few days in the hoosegow. Then they are back. DD now has a cop stationed inside the store and stops them even before they get in the door. There is a park across the street where they used to sleep at night. My part of Boston is not the only place with this problem. DD seems to draw all the undesirables. The drive-thrus' don't seem to have this problem. No parking, no inside service.
We had similar problems with a couple of fast food restaurants where you bought a cup and then served your own unlimited ice and soda. Both restaurants eventually removed the self serve dispensers to discourage the "squatters".
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Okay, I hadn't considered the problems of giving food at the back entrance. It's just really sad that this is how people/companies have to deal with the inconvenience of hunger and homelessness.
We have food banks and soup kitchens that provide food for the needy, as well as government programs and non-profit organizations that try to deal with homelessness. It's an ongoing problem.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have food banks and soup kitchens that provide food for the needy, as well as government programs and non-profit organizations that try to deal with homelessness. It's an ongoing problem.
Yes, we have ways that we try to alleviate hunger and homelessness, but most of them aren't working all that well. I was talking about how we deal with the inconvenience to the rest of us. I personally don't enjoy having to walk around a bunch of smelly homeless people when I'm trying to go into a store or resto or walk past some slightly out of the way place that stinks of urine. It's unpleasant and inconvenient.

Not giving handouts at a resto is not the worst way I've heard of to deal with that inconvenience. There are places where they put spikes in places the homeless want to sit or sleep. In the Montreal Metro (subway) stations, most of the benches are designed to be impossible to sleep on.

Here's an interesting solution to homelessness that seems to be working: The Most Unlikely State in America Is On Track to Eradicate Homelessness By 2015 - Mic