"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Not a subway fan.... I am a vegetarian and while they have a veggie sub on the menu, it has one tiny slice of cheese on it. They cut it in half diagonally and call it 2. It's just not a meal. The last subway I was at didn't have any provolone, only cheddar and pepper jack. Call me a purist, but I think that subs should have provolone or mozzerella...

We have a chain in the NW called Bruchis that make hot subs that are great! They aren't traditional subs.. the contents of the sandwhich are sizzled on a griddle and then added to the bread sort of philly cheese steak style. They use great seasonal fresh ingredients.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Not a subway fan.... I am a vegetarian and while they have a veggie sub on the menu, it has one tiny slice of cheese on it. They cut it in half diagonally and call it 2. It's just not a meal. The last subway I was at didn't have any provolone, only cheddar and pepper jack. Call me a purist, but I think that subs should have provolone or mozzerella...

We have a chain in the NW called Bruchis that make hot subs that are great! They aren't traditional subs.. the contents of the sandwhich are sizzled on a griddle and then added to the bread sort of philly cheese steak style. They use great seasonal fresh ingredients.
I love that they have a link called "What is a cheesesteak."

Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

If you are on the west coast and craving mexican, Roberto's Tacos is hard to beat, many times over better than taco bell.
If you end up in seligman, arizona I recomend the snow cap, the place has been there forever and has dang good, old fashioned hamburger stand type food. If you end up in 4corners, california give Astro Burgers a try.
In texas for a burger head for a whataburger. In oklahoma if you want a REALLY GOOD BURGER stop at BRAUMS. I do have to agree with above posters, Culvers has really good food, for a fair price in a clean setting.
I've traveled across this nations many lonely roads , most of the famous haunts of the days gone by, have merely evaporated and only the ghosts of good food remain.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #34
Senior Cook

will try Roberto's Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The kitchen sink View Post
If you are on the west coast and craving mexican, Roberto's Tacos is hard to beat, many times over better than taco bell.
If you end up in seligman, arizona I recomend the snow cap, the place has been there forever and has dang good, old fashioned hamburger stand type food. If you end up in 4corners, california give Astro Burgers a try.
In texas for a burger head for a whataburger. In oklahoma if you want a REALLY GOOD BURGER stop at BRAUMS. I do have to agree with above posters, Culvers has really good food, for a fair price in a clean setting.
I've traveled across this nations many lonely roads , most of the famous haunts of the days gone by, have merely evaporated and only the ghosts of good food remain.

I will definetly try Roberto's Tacos when i go to the west coast soon...taco bell is ok but if i have a choice between taco bell and home-made mexican food id go for the home-made..thanks again
Old 11-16-2009, 03:01 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

I agree with foodfriend....
Old 12-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Even I prefer going to Mcdonalds when traveling and when there is no good restaurant around. But I also look for some good dhabas which are very famous here in India. They would serve some really good Punjabi food and reasonable too.
cookingexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #37
Senior Cook

KFC, Wendy's, Burger King, and Mc Donalds are still my faves.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Someone above mentioned in-store delis...I agree. That's where all my "fast-food" comes from. Most have a seating area these days. Whole Foods and associated have fantastic salad bars with everything you could possibly want on a salad and a soup bar.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Subway melt, toasted, on Italian herbs and chesse bread. Not sure if its UK only, but yum thats delicious!!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #40
Head Chef

Chik-fil-A and Jason's Deli are my favorites in my area. Taco Time in the west is what I crave though. Specifically the crisp pinto burritos! There is no TT on the east coast.