"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

It is because you had an @ sign and now spaces. The system thinks it is an email address!

http://beinglydia.com
Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Had a great time with new people and the food wasn't that bad. Although the ribs left a lot to be desired. All in all, an enjoyable lunch

Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I'm glad it turned out well for you. I usually don't like BBQ places. They use too much smoke for me. Liquid or natural.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I suggest you simply be a gracious dinner partner and check your ego at the door. At a time like this, what you eat isn't important or even the point of the meal. It's to meet and bond with your future extended family. Let the enjoyment of the meal come from joy, not flavor.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

To bad. It sounds as though your mind was made up about Sticky Fingers before you ever entered the door. It is a small chain of Memphis style BBQ and ribs, not the best but still a good place to eat. I know that the owners and management are committed to producing quality food at an affordable price.

Would it have been better at four times the price or if they had Michelin stars?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
To bad. It sounds as though your mind was made up about Sticky Fingers before you ever entered the door. It is a small chain of Memphis style BBQ and ribs, not the best but still a good place to eat. I know that the owners and management are committed to producing quality food at an affordable price.

Would it have been better at four times the price or if they had Michelin stars?
Actually my opinions of those place get more acidic. For the record, there is nothing I enjoy more than sharing a meal with friends. It is one of life's more enjoyable activities. Food and mealtimes are one of the few things in life people slow down for and can spend time with each other doing. But I also look at food as something that should be prepared well. I think it's sad that we've reached a point in society that says mediocre is good.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
Had a great time with new people and the food wasn't that bad. Although the ribs left a lot to be desired. All in all, an enjoyable lunch
Glad to hear it worked out. Now that you know them next time you go out you can gently suggest a place you enjoy, or have them over and cook for them and show them what real food can taste like.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
Sous Chef

[QUOTE][But I also look at food as something that should be prepared well. I think it's sad that we've reached a point in society that says mediocre is good. /QUOTE]

That is exactly what I mean when I say quanity over quality. It seems that restaurants pump out the food as fast as they can and be ****ed with how good it tastes or looks. Believe me, I have ran a restaurant and know that the faster you turn the tables the more you make but, somewhere we as owners or chefs need to say, "no I will not send it out like that". I was always told that when you are the chef that you have signed it with your name when you send it out to a table. So is it half as good as you can make it or is that your best work?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Maybe your ribs and BBQ are the best anywhere. So, open a restaurant and show the world just how good you are.

As a small business owner, I know the fine line we have to walk to stay profitable while making as good a product as we can make. Those who run restaurants are doing a tough job where everyone is a critic and everyone can, or knows someone, who can do better.

Rather than decide it isn't worth your time before you enter their doors, try it with an open mind for a change. Or, just stay in those Michelin star restaurants where the portions are the size of walnuts and the bill is the size of a Cadillac.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #20
Everymom

I think the OP has had the answer and this thread is now moot.

Closed Thread