"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 11-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

Yakuta, you have my mouth watering with the descriptions of your meals in India. I'm glad you had a good trip!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

Thanks for the trip report Yakuta! Sounds wonderful! I might be going to India for the first time this mid-December (flights still wait-listed though). It will be a very short trip, just 3 days to New Delhi. Three things I will try to do when there: enjoy the food, visit the Taj Mahal, buy some rugs. Would appreciate any foodie suggestions in Delhi and where to find good bargains on rugs...

Old 11-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #13
Head Chef

Glad to know everyone enjoyed the trip report, I was too excited to share it on this forum since people appreciate ethnic foods.

Urmaniac, the seafood I had in India was not really curry at all. I had several types of fish - one was marinated in garlic and green chutney (made with cilantro, chilis and lemon juice) and grilled whole in the tandoor. A second one was marinated in spices such as ginger, garlic and white pepper and then coated in rice flour and deep fried. The other one was a pomfret (my favorite fish) that was pan fried with a dry Indian spice rub.

The other dish I had were shrimps which were sauteed with lots of chopped garlic and fresh red chilis and finished off with some sweet tamarind sauce. It was an appetizer and was surely good and very different.

Jikoni, I did get some jewelery and shalwar kameez for myself. Shopping and Eating are the best in India. Some of my American collagues who had been there before me kept raving about the shopping. I had forgotten how much neat stuff is available there. I however could not go bisirk since I had limited suitcase space. The best part are the street vendors, you can haggle and knowing the language it was fun to go through the process.

Chopsticks, I am sorry I cant share much about Delhi. I was primarily in Mumbai and Bangalore. I would say try old Delhi if you want traditional moghlai fare. I hear they have great kababs there. For rug shopping you need to be careful about ripoffs, as with any country do your due deligence and pick from bigger better stores that have a no haggle policy.

I will post some pictures as soon as I get an opportunity. I was staying at the Taj Palace hotel the same weekend as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were there. I did not see them at the hotel but the security and traffic was maddening

Tags
india