"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Sicily
Well I was able to find some more recipes to try. None of the Lady finger or Saviordi recipes have come out exactly right. This cookie is more crispy and like merigune melts in your mouth. But it also has substance with a chew to it. So far one of the past recipes I made titled self frosting Anise cookies has really come the closest but it must take a lot of skill to make these cookies and that is why it has been so hard to get the recipe. Even all the italian cookies my mom and grandma made this is one we never made at home they always just bought it from the bakery....now I think I know why...but it is really making me crazy, I just gotta have them!
I know what you mean- they are addicting!!!I have an appointment in Waldwick,NJ today( I know that's a long way from Florida!!)and there is an Italian deli there that occassionally gets these cookies form a bakery in Hoboken,if I am lucky enough to be able to get some I will defintely have one or two for you!! Love and energy, Vicki

Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
Executive Chef

To me many Italian pastries have a cloying perfumey taste. Nonni's brand biscottti aren't half bad for factory made, reasonably priced, stuff and they're great for quick dunk in coffee. Gotta admit that, at least years ago, some biscuits from Italian bakeries were a bit more substantial (chewier) than Nonni's.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
AHA! Vicki, you may have better luck finding these cookies if you ask for Savoiardi. I know the name is kinda tricky, with all those vowels together, but that's what they are, at least the ones I've had. I know different regions of Italy have different names for things.

Monteleone's in Jersey City has these cookies, but my favorites (for all Italian cookies and cakes) are at Modern Pastry in Boston.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Thanks June but when I ask for savoiardi I get the tasteless lady finger like cookies.When I ask for shavolette or saviatta I get those little delious slighty almond flavored cookies I love so much and seem to share a passion with C-sicily :) Love and energy, Vicki
Old 08-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
Thanks June but when I ask for savoiardi I get the tasteless lady finger like cookies.When I ask for shavolette or saviatta I get those little delious slighty almond flavored cookies I love so much and seem to share a passion with C-sicily :) Love and energy, Vicki
I have two cookbooks at home that are all Italian desserts. I'm going to have to look under those names when I get home tonight.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Definitly do...and enjoy! Make some conversation and ask about the cookie. Maybe they can write down what they call it...really...or maybe they won't give up the recipe but will share a run down list of ingredients and at least I can narrow down some of the recipes I have that I haven't attempted to make yet......thanks so much.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 AM   #17
Master Chef

i haven't had any luck finding any info on cookies with either name.

Nick Malgieri, the author of "Great Italian Desserts," has a web site at his name dot com. You might get some help there, or by asking him. I know he's researched desserts in every corner of Italy.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Cookie

Has anyone found a recipe for this cookie? My Sicilian aunt said they are called Tarallas, but the recipe she gave me is not quite it.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Have not found the correct recipe yet...

Unfortunately since no one is sure of it's name, yet most say it is Saviordi...but pronounced differently depending on the dielect of italian, and by the discription everyone thinks of other cookies that may look similar. My girlfriend recently went back to visit home in NY and spent an entire day just stopping by bakeries and only found one that still had the cookie. When she asked they say it's saviordi, of coarse they won't give her a recipe, but we also know that is not the cookie recipe to use, it definitly does not come out the same. The closest I have been able to find is a recipe called Self frosting Italian cookies. This has just been making me crazy with cravings, and now I see it has started everyong else dreaming of the shiney crackly white cookie that is hard when you bite it, melts in your mouth, then has a slight chew to it....tastes like almond or anise with a hint of cinnamon. Some describe it as shaped like a foot print, or shaped like a flat bean. I don't know....what the heck is it??????
Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

What ever they are cookies

I was raised in Bergen County, New Jersey. The cookies are available at the Lyndhurst Pastry Shop in Lyndhurst, NJ and Hackensack Pastry in Hackensack, NJ. I have also bought them at the shore at Fumosa Brothers Bakery on Rt 35 in Ortley Beach, NJ. I now live in South Jersey and they are hard to find. I'll keep trying and if I ever find anything I'll let you know.

Tags
new york, new york city, nyc