NY - New York City ... Little Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I have a craving for the saviatta/shavolettes!!! There is a deli in Waldwick, NJ (Bergen County) that carries those delicious,elusive creations.They don't bake them there but, I have yet to find out where they do get them from. Love and energy, Vicki

Boldly called the bakery and asked....

I can't believe I did it, but all they could say was no...and they did. A friend of mine made aquaintance with someone who recently visited my nearby hometown (babylon NY). She had been to Massapequa NY and went with friends to San Remo Bakery. When I showed her the picture she remembered seeing them there. Got their number and called to pursued them into giving up the recipe, or at least possibly shipping the goods! But they don't ship either. Anyway the cookie is not Saviordi or Lady fingers (that we know) and it is pronounced : "Sa" "Vee" "Ah" "Dee"...but they don't know how to spell it either. Every search comes up dead end...saviatte, saviadi, etc. Anyway it's the best kept secret ever! And why many bakeries stopped making it, no one knows. It is not the most spectacular cookie ever, but it is one that holds many memories for many that grew up in the area. Probably because when really young and teething, that was the first cookie that was safe to eat. I don't know but I want some....well I really want to be able to make them before my new grandson starts teething....please help he's already 3 months old !!!!!

the best cookie

Hey there cookie hounds, after all this you still have no recipe?????? There is a bakery in East Northport, that does them really, really well. I think I was charged $2 a cookie!!! I too am in search of a recipe. Please keep me posted. TU

I can't believe I did it, but all they could say was no...and they did. A friend of mine made aquaintance with someone who recently visited my nearby hometown (babylon NY). She had been to Massapequa NY and went with friends to San Remo Bakery. When I showed her the picture she remembered seeing them there. Got their number and called to pursued them into giving up the recipe, or at least possibly shipping the goods! But they don't ship either. Anyway the cookie is not Saviordi or Lady fingers (that we know) and it is pronounced : "Sa" "Vee" "Ah" "Dee"...but they don't know how to spell it either. Every search comes up dead end...saviatte, saviadi, etc. Anyway it's the best kept secret ever! And why many bakeries stopped making it, no one knows. It is not the most spectacular cookie ever, but it is one that holds many memories for many that grew up in the area. Probably because when really young and teething, that was the first cookie that was safe to eat. I don't know but I want some....well I really want to be able to make them before my new grandson starts teething....please help he's already 3 months old !!!!!
Try spelling it "SAVOIARDI." See what that brings up.

Okay, I just googled it for you and got this recipe. Click on "this recipe."

BTW, in Italian, you pronounce every single vowel, and so the pronunciation is "Sav-Oy-Are-Dee."

Last edited:
(((June)) Saviodori an Saviatta/Shavolette are not the same cookie. Saviodori is much softer- like a lady finger and blander in taste.Saviatta/shavolettes ( I don't knw how to spell either correctly!!!)are a much crisper cookie and wider in shape than a saviodori. That was so sweet of you to search it!!!Love and energy, Vicki

vicki, have you ever looked at a type of cookie called "the bones of the dead", or ossa di morto?

it's a fairly crisp, butter and almond cookie that is pretty standard in italy, and therefore may have many localized names.

(((June)) Saviodori an Saviatta/Shavolette are not the same cookie. Saviodori is much softer- like a lady finger and blander in taste.Saviatta/shavolettes ( I don't knw how to spell either correctly!!!)are a much crisper cookie and wider in shape than a saviodori. That was so sweet of you to search it!!!Love and energy, Vicki

Vicki, the only Savoiardi I have ever seen/eaten/used for Tiramisu are crisp when you open the package. I just spelled it correctly.:rolleyes: They absorb the liquid you use in your recipe, then they're soft. I have no idea what Saviatta or shavolettes are. I lived in the North End of Boston, and baked with one of the masters there, so maybe those go by a different name in his region of Italy?

Here's the link to my favorite shop for Italian Specialty items, and their Savoiardi. Note the description! ;)

(June) Maybe it's a New York thing or even a sicilian thing but, growing up we always had both the savadori and the (what my family called) shavalette or (other families called) saviata and they were two distinctly different cookies.The savadori were definitely used in other desserts such as tiramisu but, the other cookies were always served with the Reginas and s cookies and other butter cookies.When I come across them again I will get your address and FedEx you some!!!:)You will see what the big fuss is over!!!!Love and energy, Vicki

Thank you Bucky- it's worth a shot.BTW it's been a long time since we've chatted- I hope all is well with you and yours and thanks again for the info.Love and energy, Vicki

all's well here vicki, thanks. :) hope the same goes for you and the rest of the succotashes. :cool:

Hmm I think I found something

I found this recipe for Pine nut macaroons which I made for my friends Passover seder tomorrow. The base of this cookie tastes like the saviatta/shavolette cookies I've been bugging everyone about. I hope I can post it here to share with all my nostaglia cookie craving friends.Love and energy, Vicki

Pine nut (Pignoli) macaroons
1 can (6oz) almond paste cut into small pieces
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3/4 cup pine nuts

Heat oven 325.Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with veg spray
In a med bowl beat almond paste,sugar egg whites and lemon zest until smooth. Drop teaspoon of dough on baking sheets 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with pignoli to cover and press into dough.
Bake 22-25 minnutes until tops are firm and dry.
Cool completely on wire racks.
Store in an airtight container. makes about 2 dozen

PS I'm going to try to make these again without the pignoli and brushing meringue on the top.I'll keep you updated!!!:chef:

Vicki, if you have a food processor, try making your own almond paste. It's a snap, really, and has much less sugar. I found the Pignoli Cookies way too sweet with prepared Almond Paste.

If you want, I can post the recipe for you.

Vicki, if you have a food processor, try making your own almond paste. It's a snap, really, and has much less sugar. I found the Pignoli Cookies way too sweet with prepared Almond Paste.

If you want, I can post the recipe for you.
Thanks June That would be great-love and energy, Vicki

Little Itary huh, sound pretty good:) I definitely love the crisp cookie with a delicate almond flavor, will try there sometime. Thanks for the photo sharing.

oops! I'll try to remember to post the recipe tonight. Life's been kinda crazy. :wacko:

Okay... here it finally is:

Homemade Almond Paste

makes 1 1/4 cups

1 1/2 cups cold water
1 cup blanched almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg white
2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon almond extract

1. In a small (1 quart) saucepan, bring the water quickly to a boil. Add the almonds. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 8 minutes. Drain and cool for 15 minutes.

2. In your food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the almonds and sugar until smooth (about 1 1/2 minutes) stopping frequently to scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the egg white and butter and process for one more minute. Refrigerate until needed.

Teacher’s Tip: Well wrapped, this Almond Paste will keep in your refrigerator for up to a month.

how were the cookies?

I have been looking for saviata cookies now for quite some time! I was wondering how the above recipie tasted compared to the ones you bought in NY?

Here is a recipe that my wife's great grandmother (full Italian) had for what she called savitoes (but they pronounced them saviata's). These cookies are round and white with a soft texture. They are great by themselves, or dipping in coffee.

Ingredients:
6 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups cake flour
2 cups sugar.

Heat oven to 350
Beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add sugar and then beat well.
Add flour and vanilla and mix well.
Let the mixture sit in a bowl on the counter for an hour or so. My mother in law doesn't know why this is done, only that is what her mother and grandmother did. So it must be done!

Grease and flour cookie sheet (or use parchment paper). Drop dough by the tablespoon. The cookies will spread out when cooking.

Bake for ~10 minutes. They should not brown on top, just the bottom.

I'm not sure how many cookies this will make, but it is a lot.

I'm told that this recipe is home made, but I can't be sure of this. I do know that they are delicious. And they sound like the cookie you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom