"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 09-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I want to go to Pennsylvania now! vagriller & designerobsessed, enjoy your trips!
I will, and I need to remember to take pics and post them in this thread. Only 2 weeks away!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I just got back from lancaster.I can recommend the best western eden(great pool but can be noisy} and the new courtyard by marriot. both are slightly north of amish proper about 5 minutes away if you continue up route 30. very clean. We prefer outskirts where its quieter. This time we stayed atthe hampton inn in ephrata,off rt222.about a pleasant 20 minute ride away from the attractions. My boys are 10 and 12 and are a little old for the dutch wonderland park,etc. so we also shop in reading,etc. The hampton inn is really new overlooking a pretty valley in one of the quaintest little towns.it has a small pool and workout room, good free breakfast, homebaked cookies at the desk in the afternoons.If you tire of amish fare try little nickies in ephrata for authentic home-recipe italian favorites. the pizza is excellent, the antipasto salad is huge for 6.50 and my veal scallopine in wine sauce was marvelous. im always in the amish country so i can say this was a real find. happy travels!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #23
Master Chef

Yes, that corn was great - & I've never been a real fan of creamed corn. While this was creamed, it had more texture & was definitely "cornier". Thanks for the Cope's info re: the corn.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I HEAR the vampires there arent dangerous anymore.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Miller's Bakery and Smorgasboard is east of Lancaster on Rt. 30. Check out this website for a restaurant in Mt. Joy, which isn't far from Lancaster. http://www.bubesbrewery.com/
Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

vagriller, are you going to see "thomas the tank engine"?

we're going in 2 weeks, probably midweek. depends on when we can get tickets. the connecticut show was sold out months before.

claire, i'm gonna try to see if i can find that train car motel. thanks for the tip.

and thanks also to corinne and everyone else for all of the good info.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfectlydevine
Miller's Bakery and Smorgasboard is east of Lancaster on Rt. 30. Check out this website for a restaurant in Mt. Joy, which isn't far from Lancaster. http://www.bubesbrewery.com/
This was my favorite restaurant for breakfast!!I'm glad to see it's still in existence!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
vagriller, are you going to see "thomas the tank engine"?

we're going in 2 weeks, probably midweek. depends on when we can get tickets. the connecticut show was sold out months before.

claire, i'm gonna try to see if i can find that train car motel. thanks for the tip.

and thanks also to corinne and everyone else for all of the good info.
Here's the website BT-I'm sure Ryan will love it!!
http://redcaboosemotel.com/
Old 09-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #29
Master Chef

There also used to be a great farmers' market in I think it was Bird-in-hand or something like that. Don't know if it is still there. Big warehouse type building with booths inside, mostly Amish or Mennonite vendors. Best produce I've ever seen -- heads of cabbage and cauliflower that look like they should be centerpieces on the table, and various pickles, preserves, and other "canned" goods in mason jars that you'd almost hate to open, they were so pretty with their jewel tone colors. I also regret to this day that I didn't buy at least one cedar chest. I do have a friend who collects dolls and did have the presence of mind to buy her a couple of "face-less" Amish dolls.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #30
Head Chef

when I was younger ( not that long ago ) haha Ok so it was--- We went there alot. We use to camp and I think it was called Millers campground it was next to an amish farm and we would look forward to them wheeling their wagon over to sell their goods in the evening. It was near an amusment park in Dutch country. We also went to a place where we would watch them cook and you could purchase their goods. Chow chow - breads etc. Ahhh the memories. One memory was thier homemade root beer. A memory a family of 8 kids won't forget. Traveling back to Central New York and not finding enough bathrooms along the way. Lets just say bushes along the road were a good thing!

Tags
pennsylvania