"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 03-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Head Chef

TX - Dallas ... ISO Upscale restaurants

My parents are staying in Dallas for the next month. They really like expensive 5 star places. I am trying to find some places that might compare to the Four Seasons in New York. The following is what I have come up with on city search, but if anyone has some more suggestions I would love to hear them. My mom is allergic to certain foods (such as garlic and certain spices) and needs the service where the cook can special order.

Antares, Chez Gerard, Three Forks, Local Restaurant
Some of these places on city search overall got a good rating but the individual reviews were not so good.

Does anybody have any good suggestions. Price is no concern. Only upscale.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

Morton's is ALWAYS a good place.

Here's the link for their Dallas Location:
http://www.mortons.com/website/index.html

Old 03-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Head Chef

jkath- thanks, I have send that info to my parents.

I should also mention that I have added the following places. Please let me know if you have had any personal experiences with them.

Aurora,Hotel St. Germain, Lola, Chamberlain's fish market grill, and Mirabelle,
Old 03-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

Well, It all depends on what they are looking for!

If the are up for steaks, and willing to travel a little bit, I'd reccomend Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse in Fort Worth.

Mi Cocina's in Dallas and F. Worth is a good Mexican place, and Big Buck at Grapevine Mils was pretty good when we were there.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've been thinking and I can't think of anything in Dallas quite as hoitie-toitie as The Four Seasons in New York City. But, that doesn't mean we don't have some very elegant and upscale 4 and 5 star (Zagat and others ratings) restaurants with excellent cuisine in this part of the world.

As ronjohn said - a lot depends on the cuisine they are looking for.

I'll give you two lists you can work from (these are all in Dallas): Savvy Diner and Dallas Best

From the first list I would suggest (from personal experience):

Avanti Ristorante, French Room, Chez Gerard, Lawry's The Prime Rib, Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House, Mansion on Turtle Creek, The Old Warsaw.

From the second list (I haven't been there but a couple of foodie friends who have can't shut up about them - and I really want to try them both):

Abacus, Draelion

Of course this excludes ethnic regional cuisine which is in no way pretentions or fancy: BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Mexican.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

Michael, 30 years ago, when I was pregnant, my FIL took me to a place that I think was in Dallas. I got a sirloin steak so big that it hung over my platter, charred on the outside and rare on the inside, just as I had asked. We were even serenaded by violinists. I hadn't eaten for a while, and I ate every crumb of salad, potato and bread, and and then had a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream after.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I have been to Abacus - good food, I wouldn't call it "upscale" - more trendy - but a nice restaurant with good food and atmosphere. I have also been to Mansion on Turtle Creek and Mortons - both good. When I lived there years ago there used to be a restaurant called Messinas - I don't know if it is still there but that was also very good.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Michael, 30 years ago, when I was pregnant, my FIL took me to a place that I think was in Dallas. I got a sirloin steak so big that it hung over my platter, charred on the outside and rare on the inside, just as I had asked. We were even serenaded by violinists. I hadn't eaten for a while, and I ate every crumb of salad, potato and bread, and and then had a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream after.
Could it have been Ruth Chris? Wonderful place to go and eat, Star Canyon was a great upscale resturaunt, by chef Stephen Pyles, but I don't think it is there anymore. I think about every other restaurant in Dallas can be considered upscale.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I've been thinking and I can't think of anything in Dallas quite as hoitie-toitie as The Four Seasons in New York City. But, that doesn't mean we don't have some very elegant and upscale 4 and 5 star (Zagat and others ratings) restaurants with excellent cuisine in this part of the world.

As ronjohn said - a lot depends on the cuisine they are looking for.

I'll give you two lists you can work from (these are all in Dallas): Savvy Diner and Dallas Best

From the first list I would suggest (from personal experience):

Avanti Ristorante, French Room, Chez Gerard, Lawry's The Prime Rib, Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House, Mansion on Turtle Creek, The Old Warsaw.

From the second list (I haven't been there but a couple of foodie friends who have can't shut up about them - and I really want to try them both):

Abacus, Draelion

Of course this excludes ethnic regional cuisine which is in no way pretentions or fancy: BBQ, Tex-Mex, and Mexican.
The two in blue that I highlighted are both AAA 5 Diamond recipients. If they're going strictly by ratings, those two may be the ones to try. Getting a 5 Diamond rating from AAA is pretty rare.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #10
Head Chef

Three Forks is really good. Also try the Mansion at Turtle Creek (its excellent). You might want to post your query at www.chowhound.com .
There are over 10,000 restaurants in Dallas, there are alot of expensive places to eat and that doesn't necessarily mean they are good.

Tags
texas