I am going to give you two recipes; both delicious and festive for celebrations. You can adapt either to include dried cranberries -- I think I did that with the orange salad on Thanksgiving a few years back. Both have nuts and are very nice salads. They were completely devoured when served. Hope this helps.
Mandarin Orange Salad
1 head lettuce, washed & torn
4 green onions with tops, cut up
1 can mandarin oranges, drained or 1 fresh orange, cut up.
I like to use the fresh orange best.
1 cup celery, chopped
1 T. minced parsley
4 oz. slivered almonds or 3/4 cup pecans
2 T. sugar
You could also add dried cranberries to this salad.
4 T. sugar
1/2 cup oil
4 T. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1. Carmelize the nuts by heating in a small skillet with 2 T. sugar.
2. Cool & add to lettuce & remaining salad ingredients.
3. Combine dressing ingredients; shake well.
4. Toss salad with dressing just before serving.
Apple Feta Salad
2 T. butter
1 cup walnut halves
1 T. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper
5 cups torn romaine
5 cups torn red leaf lettuce
1 medium red apple, chopped
1 medium green apple, chopped
1/2 to 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
6 T. olive oil
2 T. white wine vinegar
2 T. finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/8 tsp. pepper
1. In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the walnuts; sprinkle with sugar & pepper. Stir until well coated.
2. Spread onto baking sheet; Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
3. In a large bowl, combine romaine, red lettuce, apples and feta cheese; set aside.
4. In a blender, combine the dressing ingredients; cover and process until blended.
5. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with sugared walnuts.
Have a great celebration.