ISO help making Caesar dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, but the raw egg is ok?

j/k....traditionaly you would use a whole anchovy and mush it into a paste with the garlic. You can leave it out as long as your using Worchter-blah sauce. Anchovies are in there, too. ;)

Well, it really does give it that layer of flavor that is needed. If you've had other Caesar salad dressings that you just love then you've had it anyway. If you get some anchovy paste you may prefer that and it will last a bit longer than the left-over jar of anchovies.

Jeekinz - since the egg is used, basically, as a "transporter" for the parmesan and other ingredients I have used, on occasion, egg beaters - it works QUITE nicely! I used that when I was cooking for a crowd and really didn't feel like getting sued if anyone got sick! :ohmy:

Side note: A friend made that recipe (using Egg Beaters) and called saying she thought she did something wrong. Well, FIRST, she ended up making Caesar salad dressing mayonnaise - I sure didn't tell her to put the ingredients in a food processor and then walk away from it LOL and SECONDLY, she accidentally picked up Southwestern Egg Beaters! ICK!

I can't imagine not using a mashed anchovy since that's what makes it tatse good.

Seriously, the anchovy is waht jives the dressing it's serious umami.

But supposedly the original caesar dressing didn't use an anchovy, just Worcestershire sauce, which does contain trace amounts of anchovy.

So make it the way you want it to taste.

Caesar salad needs egg yolk, so IMO Egg Beaters, which are egg whites only, are not right.

Last edited:
summerf - you might be surprised at how little you can actually taste them. My sister always swore she hated ceasar dressing until my husband made a batch for her. For her, he did use the paste, not the whole smashed anchovies as it [tubed stuff] does have a milder taste. Try just a little dab and go from there. Again, you may be very surprised! I do agree with Elf and Jennyema, it adds a layer you need.

The method and recipe I learned was from a tableside service. If I even change it one iota, it doesn't seem right. It's just one of those things I can't toy with.

The method and recipe I learned was from a tableside service. If I even change it one iota, it doesn't seem right. It's just one of those things I can't toy with.

Care to post it or PM me with it? I have a recipe too - we didn't do tableside - we just made up a batch in the kitchen. It makes....um........a lot! :LOL:

This is all done in a wooden bowl. Measurements are approximate but close.

1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3-4 ancovy filets (patted dry)
juice of 1 1/2 lemons (2 if not too juicy)
1 tablespoon Wosterchire <sp> sauce
2 large egg yolks
black pepper
about 1 cup of EVOO

Make a paste out of the garlic using the back of your spoon, then add the salt and anchovy. Combine those ingredients to the paste. Add the lemon juice, W... sauce and eggs and whisk together. Add about 1/2 teaspoon (4-5 turns on the mill) fresh black pepper. Drizzle in the EVOO while whisking. This is the part I look at the color and consistancy. It should be a creamy, pale yellow color.

Add chopped romaine, and tos.....combine thoroughly. Top with shaved parm.

Back
Top Bottom