Macaroni Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Hi Everyone,

I have been asked to bring a macaroni salad to a friend's July 4th cookout. I have one that I make, but wonder if any of you have a TNT that I can try?

Thanks

Last edited:
diced celery, red onion, fennel, yellow and green bell peppers, and carrots with a garlic mayo and chopped fresh parsely mixed with elbow mac is one of my favourites.

or, you can sub out the mayo with tsatsiki sauce made from low fat yoghurt, garlic, and red wine vinegar if you want a healthier twist.

I like my macaroni pretty basic, elbow macaroni, a little celery, a little green pepper, half as much onion, a little carrot for color. For the dressing: mayo, a teeny little bit of yellow mustard and a hard boiled egg mixed in.
And then there's pickle, tuna fish, bacon bits... but I like a more simple version.

ETA: I make or prefer a more simple version. I eat them all, lol.

Last edited:
I make mine with diced celery,diced dill or sweet pickles,one med sweet onion, fresh chopped parsley, or cilantro if you like it, chopped black olives diced hard cooked eggs about 4 mayo mixed with miracle whipped if you like it or all mayo and some Dijon we like it rather dry so I go easy on the mayo and mustard.
kades

Elbow Mac, mayo, a little yellow mustard, chopped boiled egg, chunks of cheddar cheese, a bit of onion of green peas. Salt and pepper to taste. I really like a bit of dill pickle relish but DH doesn't so we compromise and I just add it to my own serving. Simple, simple, simple ...

This one has always been a crowd-pleaser around here:

Breezy Macaroni Salad
(Unless otherwise specified, all amounts are "to taste".)

1 box (1 pound) Elbow Macaroni (I like Barilla brand)
Approx. 1 to 1-1/2 cups frozen green peas
Mayonnaise
Chopped sweet onion (like Vidalia, etc.)
Chopped red bell Pepper
1 green Jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
Chopped celery
Chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
Sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (the regular supermarket "block" - this is not the time to buy pricey aged cheddar - lol!)
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding in frozen peas during the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain in a colander & set aside to cool.

When cook, gently combine macaroni & peas with all other ingredients in a large bowl & chill until serving time.

Variations: I sometimes add diced turkey ham to this as well, & any leftovers make a fabulous lunch with a can of tuna folded in.

I make mine with sweetcorn, finely chopped spring onion, fresh peas, cherry tomatoes, chopped chillies, yellow bell pepper, mayo, a bit of condensed milk, some english mustard, aromat and blackpepper.

2 lb Elbow Mac, al dente' and cooled with a tab of salted butter/margarine. Zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon, mince yellow and red sm onion,finely chop half a red/gr pepper, 3 carrots,4 stalks celery,3 tbls yellow mustard,2 tbls garlic, 4 oz sweet relish, 4oz mayo or sweet vinegret (your choice, as are eggs.) dashes of black pepper, onion salt, paprika garnish with lots of parsley. Keep cold in ice bathe bowl, test it and add more of what 2 people suggest. Then
serve, discard after two hours outside for safety of guests .

MY "SUNDAY BEST" MACARONI SALAD

4 c. cooked macaroni
1 1/2 c. cooked peas
1 sm. onion, diced
4 hard boiled eggs, cubed
1 hard boiled egg, sliced, for garnish
1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper
1 1/2 c. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 c. deli ham, small dice
1/4 c. pickle relish (or sub. 3 TBL. yellow mustard)
1/2 tsp. Black pepper
combine all ingredients and mix gently till everything is blended.
Add 1 1/2 - 2 c. Hellman's mayo (do not use salad dressing) and mix gently till all is coated.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving

Note; Sometimes, when I can afford it, I rough-chop a 1/2 - pound mess of shrimps and add to the mix........

img_1019097_0_a04ed578bea5291249b3dcc13800800c.jpg

Last edited:
When we would do shore lunch at Lake of the Woods, we'd take the following:

4-5 c cooked pasta (usually used spiral noodles)--when we'd cook these, we'd toss in 1-2 T celery seed and 1 tsp dill seed
chopped black olives
green olives--sliced
1 c cheese--cubed
tomatoes
corn
celery
onion
green onion
fresh oragano
1 tsp anchovy paste
1 c leftover chicken/lake trout
1 bottle Italian Salad dressing
Parmasean cheese
S&P

Put in a tupperware container, and shake it up. Put it in a cooler and go out in the boat for about 3 hours--find an island, pull ashore-fry the walleyes caught in a CI, and eat the salad with the fish. Spread out on the warm granite rocks, take a nap, and then slip into the cold lake water before getting back in the boat. Catch a few walleye on the way home--clean those, fry those and eat any left-over salad you left in the fridge. Go to bed when the sun goes down and get up at sunrise and do it all again.

Luckytrim ... that is one beautiful pasta salad. I think I'll bring this to our cookout tomorrow at our friend's house. Thank you for sharing your recipe and for the picture.

Bow tie pasta, cooked per package directions
Snow peas, cut in half, steamed/cooked crisp
artichoke hearts, cut to bite size pieces
olives
chopped celery
chopped onions
maybe some sliced radishes
a little parsley
tossed with a good Italian dressing... no mayo
sometimes I add broccoli florets
I've also used the colored pasta

what liquid should i add to my macaroni salad? i keep stirring in more mayo but it quickly disappears, leaving my salad dry again. this always happens. i'd like to lighten up on the mayo but i don't see how. help.

Back
Top Bottom