Rice Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr morbius

Senior Cook
I threw together a rice salad yesterday, to take with me to work tonight. I cooked some long grain rice, about 3 cups cooked; added to that a large tomato, diced; 2/3 bunch green onions, chopped; a couple jalapeno peppers with the spicy white pith & seeds cut away; and about a half a pound of cooked bacon, all cut up. I had this tonight with Kraft Toasted Sesame dressing. Yum.

I have made rice salads before but this time, for the first time, I rinsed the rice after cooking it. I reasoned, one rinses pasta for pasta salad, why not rinse the rice? Turns out this is an absolutely essential step. The rice isn't sticky and tastes great.

Has anyone tried making rice salad? The last couple times I tried to make it, I used cooked tail-off shrimp and made it for my daughter (who has an unhealthy obsession with shrimp). This is the first time I made it primarily for myself. A nice change of pace from pasta salad.

I have made this one, link, from Chef John of Food Wishes, a couple of times. I use brown rice and I tweaked the vegis. After the first time, I upped the proportion of vegis to rice, by volume, from approximately 1:1 to approx 1.5:1. We like it.

That sounds good and is a great example of using what is available.

This is a local cult favorite.

Snow White Inn’s Rice Salad

3 cups long grain rice
1 large bunch of celery
1 large cucumber peeled
6-8 green and red peppers cleaned
6 large tomatoes peeled
1 quart Hellmann’s mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
Salt
White pepper
1 T Accent

Cook rice in salted boiling water. Wash in cold water until it runs clear and drain in colander. Spread rice on a baking sheet and allow to dry while working on the vegetables. Chop celery, peppers, cucumbers and squeeze out water or allow to drain. Finely chop tomatoes and allow to drain in strainer. Mix all ingredients. Makes 1 ½ gallon-smaller amounts do not seem to taste as good.

I make one that appeared on the Uncle Ben's Wild Rice box, years ago. As the name implies, it is a good one for picnics or pot lucks, as there is no mayo in it...and clearly there is room to make it "your own"...

Best Ever Wild Rice Picnic Salad

1 Package Uncle Ben’s long grain & wild rice (cooked, as directed on package & then chilled)
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
5 radishes, sliced
1 cup cucumber, diced

Combine oil & vinegar, stir into chilled rice. Add onion & celery; mix well. Chill. Stir in radishes & cucumber before serving. Serves about 6

I soaked some wheat berries overnight and am cooking them today, for salads, as salads or on salads. @larry_stewart and @pepperhead212 do either of you soak lentils or grains. I've sprouted them but I just mean soaking overnight? It's supposed to make more nutrients available and reduce phytates. I usually don't remember to soak them before I cook them. It's supposed to be a good practice. I haven't read a soaking/sprouting/fermenting grains book yet but I'm starting to get interested.

@blissful I soak grains and lentils occasionally, but usually I don't. Sometimes I will soak one, that takes longer to cook, so I can cook 2 things together in the Instant Pot. As for sprouting them, that takes 3-4 days, so I rarely do that, but once in a while I do, with a fresh batch of grains or legumes I have. As for fermenting grains, I've never done that, except for making bread!

I soak them if I remember to reduce the cook time, but usually I forget :)
The only time I sprout them, is when I ferment them to make 'rejuvelac', which is a common ingredient when making vegan cheese - like products.

After reading this, I’m definitely going to make a rice salad or lentil salad or a mix very soon.

It hasnt been too hot on the Cape recently (until today) but like 100% humidity which sucks the life out of you. A cold rice salad sounds very reviving!

thanks for all the recipes and ideas!

I've just arrived at my old stomping grounds for a couple of weeks. Talk about a heat shock. Yes it's been warm and very humid, but here it is blistering. Plus living in a basement apartment - I wear a sweater all day unless I step outside - don't think my wardrobe here is going to survive.
All that to say
Shucking darns - if those salads don't sound wonderful!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom