What’s your favourite salad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my all time favorite is spinach with hot bacon and vinegar dressing. i like grated hard boiled egg and sesame seeds on it as well.

This sounds very interesting. Will have to make this for myself sometime.

I also love thai papaya salad- som tam, its hot and sweet and sour with shrimp and peanut s, really lovely and one of my favourites

I suppose that in general terms my favorite is the simple Caesar salad. You can do so much with it. It makes a good starter or accompaniment to a meal or add a protein and it's a meal itself.

Taco salad, defined somewhat loosely, is another favorite. Sometimes I use taco meat while other times I use fajita-style meats. For sauce I usually mix sour cream & salsa, then add cheese, onions, black olives, etc. This is one time I prefer shredded iceberg.

I do like spinach salads too but only with sweet dressings, which I normally try to avoid. I don't eat any sugar when I can help it and I'm starting to suspect that it's best to limit consumption of artificial sweeteners as well. That's a challenge since I really like the flavor of Splenda. Overall I don't have much of a sweet tooth, which is good, but I drink Powerade Zero a couple times a week. A little off topic, I realize, but the long and the short of it is I'm trying to embrace a diet of more whole and natural foods. As I get older I'm starting to realize I can't eat just anything and stay healthy anymore!:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

If i feel like filling salad, chicken ceasar with loads of dressing or potatoe salad with bacon and egg.
But if its just a side salad, then fresh tossed greens(mainly baby spinach and ice berg, or cos lettuce) plain and easy!

I like red potatos boiled then smashed a little then add mayo that has chopped fresh dill, capers and smoked salmon pieces added add a little Dijon to color the mayo mixture add a little evoo to make it spreadable mix all together add salt and pepper place on a bed of freeze after fist tasting and then adding some fresh lemon juice to brighten the salad.
kades

I take some (about one or two large tablespoons) freshly grated Parmasan or Romano cheese and sprinkle it in a non-stick sautee' pan until it melts. I immediately remove it when it has melted and shape over a large custard bowl allowing it to cool and form a bowl. These become individual salad bowls. Everyone gets one. They are always a big hit. For holiday salads I make a chefs salad like no other. It has everything cut to bite size. That big salad bowl is empty by the time it makes it around the table.

I take some (about one or two large tablespoons) freshly grated Parmasan or Romano cheese and sprinkle it in a non-stick sautee' pan until it melts. I immediately remove it when it has melted and shape over a large custard bowl allowing it to cool and form a bowl. These become individual salad bowls. Everyone gets one. They are always a big hit. For holiday salads I make a chefs salad like no other. It has everything cut to bite size. That big salad bowl is empty by the time it makes it around the table.

What a great idea! Thanks for the great tip.

Cabbage salad made with mayonnaise or boiled dressing is what was considered salad in our house growing up and is still my first choice.

Most of the time in the summer we just had a dish of tomato slices, cucumber slices or green onions from the garden.

My first encounters with a tossed salad were in restaurants in my early teens. I like everything about them but the lettuce so I leave that out.

I am trying to picture a tossed salad with out lettuce.........:ermm:

It's hard to believe that some restaurants now try to pass off those wedges of Iceberg lettuce as some kind of a whoop-tee-do gourmet salad!! Geeze, whata crock! :glare:

Classic Iceburg Wedge
Agree with the exception of...
A large banquet hall I worked & I used that salad for a served party of 700. Shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrot, cucmber & tomato make a nice contrast. A hot bacon dressing over it served held up much nicer. It was faster to put together too.

Addie said:
Glad to be of help. It is a fun way to serve salad and is often the talk of the table. :chef:

I'm going to try this! Thanks, Addie!

I'm going to try this! Thanks, Addie!

Make sure you use enough cheese so that there aren't to many holes. And when you fold it over the bowl, it will develop ruffles. The main part is to make it conform to the shape of the bottom of the bowl and part way up the sides. :chef:

Lets see....Chicken, Tuna, Rabbit, Olive, Egg, Pasta, Shrimp, Fruit, Congealed, Carrot, Potato, ... to name a few....There are so many. ~~ However since it seems everyone is talking about "Green" salad in some form or another...I usually keep it pretty simple..a couple or so lettuces, spinach, tomato (in season) or cherry (grape) tomatoes otherwise...Maybe a radish....I like cukes, but they don't like me. Hard boiled eggs...and either Grilled Chicken or "Boiled"Shrimp with either the 'Mother Sauce of Mississippi' or this Olive oil, garlic, caper, anchovy concoction that I brew up as a dressing.

Fun!

What is the 'Mother Sauce of Mississippi'?

Thank G-d there was no lettuce when I was a child. My favorite salad is probably tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, bell peppers (not green), green onion, a little bit of dill and a little bit of shredded cabbage, sour cream or mayo and lemon juice. It works well with Italian dressing too, or simply oil and vinegar and seasoning of course. And if not that simple cucumber – tomato salad is good enough for me.

Last edited:
That's the only way I make blue cheese dressing. By the time the blue cheese has dissolved, my vinaigrette is nice and creamy ;)

But, I don't like it too often.

I started making it without adding sour cream or mayo, which is how I had learned in the restaurant, I like the non-creamy better.

Back
Top Bottom