Black bean, tomato and corn salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlingardener

Sous Chef
When you tire of lettuce salads, this is a nice change of pace. Easy and quick to make, and is hearty enough for lunch, or can be used as a salad with dinner.

1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
two plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 c. frozen corn (you can use fresh corn, but there are better uses for fresh corn!)
1 tblsp. chopped fresh parsley
a dash of Cayenne pepper (optional)
*Dressing:
2 tblsps. extra virgin olive oil
3 tblsps. lemon juice
a pinch of salt
Whisk the lemon juice, oil and salt together. Combine other ingredients and pour the dressing over, incorporating well. Chill for two hours or more.
*More dressing may be needed, Just make 1/2 recipe of dressing and add to above dressing.

That's very much like a salad I make. We really really like it. Same ingredients but, I don't use tomato, I add a bit of julienned red bell pepper, some shaved red onion, some chopped celery. I season with a bit of cumin and some Tabasco chipotle sauce. The dressing has the same ingredients, but I haven't measured anything when I make it.

Marlin, at my house, tomatoes are a rarity. DH doesn't like them except in tomato sauces. I like them and miss them, but my arthritis is made worse by them. I can get away with a certain amount of tomato that doesn't have any of the seeds. But, deseeding tomatoes is an extra, messy step and DH dislikes them even without the seeds and gel, though he finds that somewhat less offensive.

Taxlady, I'm so sorry that tomatoes just don't agree with you nor your husband. We eat a goodly amount of tomatoes--I need to get over this overplanting thing--and we both enjoy them.

When I was in my 20's and needed a quick meal, I'd open a can of beans add some chopped onions and vinegar and salt. Now I make it with any kind of beans: black, red, kidney, white, pinto, and green beans. I prefer it slightly chilled if I have the time. It's so satisfying. @Marlingardener I like your recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom