"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 03-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #21
Executive Chef
well, one could sprinkle the muffin tops with green decorating sugar. Personally, I'd go with green muffin papers.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #22
Master Chef
For proteins, here are a couple of ideas:
1. Dolmas filled with lamb and cucumber
2. Cabbage rolls filled with meatloaf mixture with tomatilla sauce
3. Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
4. Stir-fried chicken with water chestnuts, celery, bok choy, and snow peas, and broccoli, all in a light chicken veloute.

If you want a green vegie tray, include things like stuffed celey with a Green Goddess dressing, green olives (good ones), Green bell pepper slices, green onion, Leafy-green lettuce leaves, etc.

If serving cooked veggies, steam them from fresh to preserve the intense, natural green color.

My Mother's Sea Breeze salad (this stuff is really good, without a son's biased opinion, I've never met anyone who didn't love this stuff.)
2 boxes lime Jello
1.5 cups hot water
1 cup evaporated milk
3 oz pkg. cream cheese
4 ice cubes
2 tsp lemon juice
1 can crushed pineapple
˝ cup walnut pieces
1/8 tsp. salt

Make the jello. Pour it into a blender before it sets. Add the evaporated milk, cream cheese, ice cubes, lemon juice, pineapple, walnut pieces, and salt, all in your blender, or food processor. Make it all smooth. Pour into a pretty jello mold and refrigerate until set. Serve cold.

Hope something here is useful, or inspires you to make something.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #23
Executive Chef
Green Tea Ice Cream.
Cream of broccoli puree mixed with whipped potatoes.
Lettuce wraps.
Lime jello mixed into tapioca pudding.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #24
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Lots of awesome ideas here - DC rocks!

I was googling ideas and came across this one: Amanda Cohen’s Secret-Weapon Stir-Fry Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

maybe not for this event but still an awesome idea.

The no food coloring thing was a request from the vent, lots of natural food foodies....

Steve - you need to clean yer fridge more often ;)
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #25
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Let the meat age at room temperature long enough, and it will eventually meet the "green" criteria.

Wow Steve... that's too funny!
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #26
Head Chef
Green Muffins (from spinach leaves) in optional flavors depending on additions.
Green Muffins Recipe -- Perfect for St. Patrick's Day | Pamela Salzman & Recipes
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #27
Executive Chef
Green chili stew, Thai green curry or jungle curry or collard rolls stuffed with jambalaya or dirty rice, in a green tomato sauce. Take some flour tortillas, dip them in a green sauce, then bake them at around 200F to seal the sauce on. It should work without crisping the tortillas, more or less drying the sauce on. I'd saute Mexican fresh chorizo, then put teaspoons of the chorizo on a baking sheet with a silpat, cover each mound with a 1/4 slice of meunster and bake until the cheese melts. Serve right away, letting the guests use torn pieces of "green" tortilla to pick up each individual mound. Great appetizer.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #28
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The Luck of the Irish has abandoned me. I've been asked to plan the food for a large gathering with an everything green theme. Green food, green drinks, etc and no food coloring. I have some prep help but there will be about 60 attending and this will be a buffet style service. They will be expecting something special - not your average cabbage rolls and green jello meal.

I dug out a barley risotto recipe that has been nice in the past and a fennel salad but I need so much more and the meat dishes have me totally stumped.

Any ideas?
In the deli the other day there was what looked like some sort of custard-based tart with a think layer of finely chopped pistachio nuts on top. That was green. I'd suggest you buy your pastry cases.

Spinach is often used in sweet dishes.

Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #29
Head Chef
We are doing the traditional corned beef and cabbage. I look forward to March for that reason. I'm not Irish (half Welsh), but I love making up a pot of Corned Beef and Cabbage with onions, carrots and red potatoes. Both my wife and I love it, and her father comes to dinner on Sundays after church, so we are doing our holiday meal today.

I'm also baking Italian ciabatta bread to go with the meal, just for diversity (I'm not Italian either).

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote