"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Napkin Rings

If you're using a centerpiece, select an element to incorporate into the napkin ring. For example, for a bridal event, use the flowers from the bouquet for the rings. The easiest napkin ring is a simple bow tied around the napkin. For more pizzazz, tie a ready-made curly ribbon bow around it.

A variation on the bow is to use a wire ribbon bow, then glue on craft-store jewels with white glue. If you are short on space, use a bagel for the napkin ring. This eliminates the need for a bread plate.

For an outdoor party, use twine to tie bunches of herbs to the napkins. A small flower can be added, if desired.

For a garden-themed party, stuff napkins into a clean or new gardening glove.

Make your own napkin rings by cutting lengths from a paper-towel tube into an appropriate width. Reinforce with sticky paper from the craft store, then cover glue on the fabric of your choice. Wrap plastic-covered wire from the craft store into fun, funky shapes. Embellish by gluing on pearls.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Several years ago I made napkin rings out of some leftover fabric sewn into tubes and shirred over inch wide elastic. They turned out well. They can match your tablecloth, placemats, or the flower arrangement, or contrast well with whatever.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I like the idea of using a bagel or paper toweling to make the rings. Appreciate your input. We're only limited by our imagination. Now I'm thinking, maybe shower curtain rings. We spend lots of time and effort on the dish, think our table should look yummy too
Old 10-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Head Chef

When you're in a crafty mood - save up your paper towel cardboard, cut them to the desired width and cover them with some pretty wrapping paper you've saved.

A non-cooking idea is to use toilet paper cardboard rolls wrapped the same way for cord tamers - you can always find paper to match your decor!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Cool idea, Linda. I never knew the name for those ugly cord tamers. Thank you.

Last year I found beautiful wrapping paper with Asian writing on a beige background, with red, black and gold. I'm itching to find a project of some sort.