"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 11-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Love the choux buns with chicken salad. I must try this. Sounds wonderful - perhaps a good starter for a Christmas Meal?

Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footsteps to Oxford
Love the choux buns with chicken salad. I must try this. Sounds wonderful - perhaps a good starter for a Christmas Meal?
At Christmastime I add Cranberry Chutney (Major Grey brand) to my chicken salad - about 1 TBS or so per cup of chicken salad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #13
Master Chef

Something my family likes that is easy to make and different is breakfast pizza. I make my regular pizza dough and prebake it. Then scramble eggs to the just past runny stage. spread on the prebaked dough and add your choice of sausages, meats, veggies, and cheeses. Make sure you precook your meats! Pop in the oven to heat until cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve. You can make alot of the things a day ahead and then just assemble the morning of your event.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 AM   #14
Senior Cook

crepe dishes are easy to prepare well in advance. bind whatever you have at hand for filling in a thick bechamel, roll up the crepes and place in a casserole, cover with wrap and place in fridge. top with a cheese sauce and bake till warmed through.
or...
chop up some well-drained spinach and combine with cream cheese. layering the crepes alternately with a thin spread of this and maybe something like smoked salmon, build up a "cake" shape. serve in wedges either warmed or at room temp. a bearnaise would go well.

if this is happening at your home, how about some fresh rolls or bread sticks pulled hot right out of the oven? or biscuits. have them on a baking sheet all ready to pop in the oven.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
Head Chef

Kansasgirl has a Bacon Pull-Apart Bread that's different.

My old time favorite brunch casserole is below that. EVERYONE always wants the recipe for that!

Lee

Bacon Pull-Apart Bread - kansasgirl

12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, fresh grated
1 small onion, chopped finely
3 cans buttermilk biscuits, each biscuit cut into quarters
1/2 cup butter, melted
Fresh pepper to taste
1 c Cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 10 in Bundt pan.

1.Combine bacon, Parmesan cheese, onion and fresh pepper; set aside.

2.Dip each biscuit piece into butter. Place 1/3 of biscuit pieces in the bottom of the Bundt, and then sprinkle half of bacon mixture over biscuits. Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheddar.

3.Repeat layering one more time and then end with a layer of biscuits; brush tops with butter.

4.Bake for 40 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack and then invert onto a serving platter. Serve immediately.

BRUNCH EGGS
16 SLICES OF SANDWICH BREAD, TRIMMED

1 LB OF SLICED HAM BROKEN IN PIECES

16 SLICES OF CHEESE – 8 SWISS AND 8 AMERICAN

½ tsp. ONION SALT

½ tsp. DRY MUSTARD

7 EGGS

2 CUPS OF MILK

2 CUPS OF CORN FLAKES

½ TO ¾ STICK OF MELTED BUTTER OR MARGARINE

Butter 13x9x2 baking pan. Layer ½ the bread slices, half the ham, 4 slices of the American and 4 slices of the Swiss cheese; repeat layering.

Mix eggs, onion salt, dry mustard and milk. Pour over the top. Let stand overnight, (preferable), or for a few hours.

Mix corn flakes in melted butter/margarine and spread on the top of the dish.

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown.

(Note: You can halve this recipe and bake it in a square brownie pan)

Old 11-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi QSis - I love the sound of your bacon bread but can you tell me what the equivalent of buttermilk biscuits might be in the UK? There are so many tasty ideas on this topic. I am becoming addicted!!

www.footstepstooxford.co.uk
Old 11-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footsteps to Oxford
Hi QSis - I love the sound of your bacon bread but can you tell me what the equivalent of buttermilk biscuits might be in the UK? There are so many tasty ideas on this topic. I am becoming addicted!!

www.footstepstooxford.co.uk
american biscuits are like scones, but without sugar or eggs. they're quite easy to make. you can be eating them up well within an hour of starting them (with practice, about 1/2 hr or so). regular milk works just as fine as buttermilk.

4 c flour
2 heaping T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c butter
1 1/2 c milk

combine dry ingredients. cut in butter until the largest pieces are about the size of a pea. add milk all at once and fold in with a fork until dough just comes together. turn out onto well floured surface. give 2 or 3 gentle kneads to form a ball. pat out to about 1/2 to 3/4 inches. cut out to 2 1/2 or 3 inch circles. place touching in a baking pan with 1 or 2 inch walls. bake in preheated 400 or 425 degree farenheit (you'll have to do the math yourself, it's a hot oven, or see link below) for about 12 to 15 minutes.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/resources/

Old 11-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #18
Master Chef

Wow, y'all are great-----so many ideas and you have my tastebuds tingling and my fingers itching to get into the kitchen!!! In reply to some queries I'm planning to serve both warm and at room temps and it will be at my apartment. And yes it is getting colder though not as cold as last year. Last year the river was frozen solid at this time and today it's sparkling blue. And yes, Urmaniac I would love more details on your recipe. I have this whole next week off except for Tuesday and Thursday where I volunteer teach at the international school and want to spend time making up some of your wonderful ideas. Yes, I will have to make substitutions----don't know if I can get Muenster cheese here but I'm sure there are good substitutions--they do have wonderful imported Dutch gouda which I substitute for cheddar. Kazakhstan is basically a Muslim country but it is easy to find good bacon and ham here and of course the imported smoked salmon is to die for. Sorry I have not commented before now but had to leave Astana right after I posted and just got back today. Many, many thanks for your ideas and help. I agree with having real napkins and nice table arrangement. The "snack tree" sounds wonderful as a main attraction and though I've not seen styrofoam here we definitely have plenty of cabbage and cauliflower!!! Sposiba! (:(:(: