Proud of my gravy method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
So I bought a couple turkey legs prior to thanksgiving. Roasted them for a few hours and than took them, veggies/onions, broth etc. and simmered on stove and made some nice dark colored broth.

When the turkey came out of the oven, I mixed some "cold" chicken stock from a can with flour. I brought the homemade turkey broth I made to a boil and than slowly added the flour mixture. Let it cook for a little bit, added some butter, salt and pepper.

although I wish it was thicker, everyone loved it. My mother was so impressed with what I did. Said she always has problems with rushing gravy at the end, the juices from the pan being so greasy, who has time to try to get the grease/fat off.

Plus my turkey took longer than expected and my brother had to leave soon, so it really worked out to have a nice smooth gravy ready with no hassles. I did add a small cupful of the drippings from the pan to the gravy too.

I buy turkey wings and necks and roast them with veg and make stock the night before so I'm ready to go too. It's something I've done for years and I think it's a great idea.

I pour off the drippings into a gravy separator, then take some of the fat off the top to make a roux, then add broth. I add in the nice dark drippings (minus the extra fat).

Your plan sounds like an easy way to make good gravy without that "rush"

I'm glad it turned out well for you Legend!! I also made turkey stock, although I roasted turkey necks and veggies and then boiled and strained the stock. I had 9 cups of stock for the gravy. When it came time to make the gravy I melted two sticks of butter and combined with a cup of flour, cooked it some., then slowly added the broth. The ratio of ingredients was just perfect, so this time I wrote it all down. :yum:

Last edited:
I'm glad it turned out well for you Ledgend!! I also made turkey stock, although I roasted turkey necks and veggies and then boiled and strained the stock. I had 9 cups of stock for the gravy. When it came time to make the gravy I melted two sticks of butter and combined with a cup of flour, cooked it some., then slowly added the broth. The ratio of ingredients was just perfect, so this time I wrote it all down. :yum:

Good to know. So 9 cups of broth, 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of flour?
Nice!! Maybe I'll try that some time with a chicken or something to see how it works out. I'm always looking for good ratio's. I used 3/4 cup of flour to 2 cups of cold broth. That got mixed into the homemade turkey broth I made, expect I didn't measure that. It was a good amount though. I filled a gravy bowl up twice and still had some left over. Probably 3 gravy bowls full.

I strained all my veggies too when I made the broth. I made it earlier in the week so I was able to get the fat off easily since it rose to the top. I kept some of the fat though.

To me gravy isn't gravy without using the fond and drippings.

I separate the fat and drippings and use some of the fat and flour to make a roux, then add in the dissolved fond and drippings and some really good turkey stock I made ahead of time.

That way it's really dark and rich and turkey tasting.

jennyema said:
To me gravy isn't gravy without using the fond and drippings.

I separate the fat and drippings and use some of the fat and flour to make a roux, then add in the dissolved fond and drippings and some really good turkey stock I made ahead of time.

That way it's really dark and rich and turkey tasting.

Pretty much exactly what I do! This year I used trader Joe's turkey broth and it worked well.

I'd agree.......the perfect situation is if you have some fond and drippings from the turkey. In my case, the turkey is cooked in the kettle barbeque so it's not available.;)

I used some of the drippings from the turkey I made on Thanksgiving and added that to the gravy. Earlier in the week, when I roasted turkey legs, I added a cup of water to the pan and scraped up all the brown bits. That got added to the pan I used to make the broth on top of the stove in addition to the roasted turkey legs, veggies, broth etc.

Back
Top Bottom