"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Recreating a wedding menu

Good evening everyone

My parents are going to be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in November. My sister and I have planned a small dinner party of approximately 20 guests to celebrate. Some of the guests were actually guests at the wedding in 1956....other than my parents, that is.

We were hoping to recreate the entire meal, but unfortunately no one has been able to help. It seems memories have clouded as a result of age and alcohol consumption at the original event. All we've been told is that the meal was 'Italian'.

I can easily do a google search for meals popular in the mid 50s, but I was wondering, and please excuse me if this seems insensitive, but does anyone here have first hand knowledge of popular meals in the 50s?

I won't have time to do any prep work, other than the day of the party. Both my sister and my mother live in Florida and I am traveling from northern NJ just a day before.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

While I was alive and well in the 50s, I was a mere child. Well, a teen, part of the time. I have a sister who is a LOT older than I. I'll check with her.

Goos luck, it sounds like it will be a hectic time but imagine the memories you will be giving your parents!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Vera, this doesn't have Italian meals as such but it gives you tons of 50s salads, appys, sides, entrees...

http://www.foodtimeline.org/fooddecades.html#1950s
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
What a wonderful thing to be able to do for your parents!

We all have Italian recipes, that's no surprise. Was it a buffet or a sit-down meal? Just knowing that will cut down on what could be a huge variety.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I know an italian woman in her mid seventies, and recall many fond memories of eating dinners at her house. Three things that stood out for me was the antipasta, the seafood (red) sauce with pasta (shrimp, lobster, mussels to name a few), and lots of italian pastries and lovely liquors to sip. Sometimes she would make a fish soup, not a chowder based soup. She made something called gardoon I think, but I have no idea what type of vegetable it was but she fried it (probably not appropriate for an anniversary dinner though). Also, her lasagna was fantastic, made with tiny meatballs, so yummy.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
What a wonderful thing to be able to do for your parents!

We all have Italian recipes, that's no surprise. Was it a buffet or a sit-down meal? Just knowing that will cut down on what could be a huge variety.
From the pictures it looked like a very posh posh sit down meal.
By the way...I happen to have my mother's wedding gown. I wore it in 1983. It was beautiful. It had a 'gone with the wind' hoop and a 9 yard train. If this party was at my house, I'd have had it cleaned and displayed for the guests.

They got the wedding cake from Sorrento's in Lodi, NJ. Again, if the party was here, I could do things a little differently.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
There should be Italian Wedding Soup!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I know an italian woman in her mid seventies, and recall many fond memories of eating dinners at her house. Three things that stood out for me was the antipasta, the seafood (red) sauce with pasta (shrimp, lobster, mussels to name a few), and lots of italian pastries and lovely liquors to sip. Sometimes she would make a fish soup, not a chowder based soup. She made something called gardoon I think, but I have no idea what type of vegetable it was but she fried it (probably not appropriate for an anniversary dinner though). Also, her lasagna was fantastic, made with tiny meatballs, so yummy.
I have a feeling my sister and I are definitely leaning towards a antipasto platter.

Someone thinks there may have been a tiramisu, as well. I saw a recipe for a pumpkin tiramisu that I'd like to make...but think it may be a bit too modern for this party.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
There should be Italian Wedding Soup!!
yes!perfect!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Where was the reception? Would it have been in an Italian function hall hotel or such where the food was actually authentic?