"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 02-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
wishing you lots of luck Charlie. I know you'll be great and every one will love your lunch!!

Old 02-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #12
Senior Cook

When you say kosher, do you mean like Jewish style kosher? because if so, that is WAY more in depth than can be explained (I'm not Jewish, but when working for a catering co. I cooked at a synagog for a month for several LARGE parties and Bahmitzvas (sp?) it's crazy the "rules" you must follow. So basicalyl, what do you mean when you say "kosher"?

Old 02-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
Master Chef

Chef Jimmy, "crazy rules" is exactly what i ment.

So any sugestions?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #14
Head Chef

I don't know what the "crazy rules" are (I'm sorry!) so I don't know what is alright and what is not SO, I'll just be the idiot and ask ...

Can you have / serve: ground beef? sliced beef? chicken? what is the rule on veggies (tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, onion and corn)? what about corn or flour products like tortillas? what about rices?

I like these kind of challenges (and dream of being a caterer someday so my brain really likes this one) so have an idea but I don't want to offer something you can't use.

(edited for spelling ...)
Old 02-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Why not just ask the woman that phoned what they want served and how to serve it and you will do the cooking? This takes the pressure off of you and places it on her, since it was her idea to begin with.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Well, I can say that there are many rules, first and formost, you cannot mix meat and dairy, which pretty much rules out mexican, (cheese, sour cream) I wouldn't eat mexican without those things. Secondly, you must use kosher ingredients (been blessed by the rabbi and made sure it was killed and processed in the correct manner..........but thats a different post.) You must use 2 sets of pots, pans, knives, ect.......... no two things (meat and dairy) can EVER be mixed. There are usually 2 separate kitchens. Like i said before, i'm not Jewish, but cooked at a synagog for a month (catering) I could not light the stove, but COULD adjust the heat????? nor could i even plug in a coffee pot! If you brought meat in the dairy kitchen and vice versa, you would get in BIG trouble. I can go on for a while, but hopefully you get the just of it. So are you cooking for Jews (jews is not a bad comment by the way?) I can tell you what
Old 02-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

JMediger, don't worry about rules, the main thing in this case no dairy allowed. Rest of the stuff is okay. J, please donít be shy and tell me your ideas.

At this point I have desided (doesnít mean that the boss will approve)

Mexican chicken soup

Tortia bar with fixings for people to chose, i.e. ground meat, chicken and beef strips, sliced bell peper, onion, beans, tomatoes, salsa etc.

Chips, guacamole and salsa on the tables

Mexican rice for the side dish(that is at this point my biggest concern, as I wonder how to cook such large quantity, actually how much do I need for 100 people?)

Some kind of beans (not sure)

Some kind of corn (not sure)

Margaritas,

churos (maybe)

Amber if only life was that simple. Not only I have to learn how to cook Mexican in the next week or so, but I also need to make up menu, tell them what and where to buy, and then deal with fact that they didn't buy or get me what I told them to.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

mx dinner

I know what you are up aginst. The large groups add a dimension of difficulty.

I left you a spanish rice recipe but your idea of a taco station will be very easy and a big hit.

For an easy salsa use your favorite salsa add diced mango, a diced spanish onion, cilantro chopped, and diced roma tomatoes. his will add freshness and also strech the salsa so you don't break the bank.
Adjust the heat to your taste with whatever hot peppers you like, the pepper sauces have some vinegar and may alter the flavor you are trying to achieve.

All you are lacking are simple condiments to complete the taco station - or delegate these to someone else.

good luck, It will be fun.

Bob
Old 02-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #19
Master Chef

Thanks, Bob, I left you more questions.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
CD, that stinks. I'll tell these people how nuts they are since you can't! LOL!

If you're game, maybe we ought to say hi over coffee or something, depending where you are. I don't have anything up my sleeve, but I'm game to brainstorm, etc. T'would be fun to put a face to a name, and see if our mutual interest in cooking can help us both in our culinary endeavours!