Summer parties - anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Who is planning a summer party? I found myself with less than a week's notice having a Bastille Day party. It isn't a full meal (I'm looking at late afternoon, but before supper), and I happen to have a half-wheel of goat brie (yes, those of you who read other lines, a locally made cheese) and on Saturday I'll pick up some crusty bread. I also have a container of Alouette cheese spread (also a local product). The friend who is guest of honor lives in France and almost always brings me some sort of food product (and I have a jar of pate from her last visit that will come out). I have no intentions of cooking, and my friends are all big on potluck. Someone actually already brought me a French flag, and I suspect another one may be coming, to decorate the porch rail. I'm considering making a quiche the day before. What are your plans, and do any of you have any French ideas?

We used to have a BBQ at least twice a summer here for the building. The first one was always paid for and planned by the residents. But the ones who were doing the cooking would pick a date toward the end of the month. Just when everyone was broke waiting for their next SS check to come. I refused to participate in that one. I didn't want to encourage bad planning and stubbornness. The second was sponsored and paid for by Management. I used to bring my own meat to that one. The cook is still stuck in that Italian Dressing for a marinade. He marinades EVERYTHING in it. He has no imagination when it comes to a BBQ. Should we have one this year, I think I will make myself a pizza and do it on the grill. Since it is our grill, no one can tell me NO! I have a round cutting board. Looks like a thick peel. Even has a handle. I can spread the dough out on it and slip it right onto the grill. I would like to show the rest of the residents that we do have choices.

It has been a while since I shook this place up. :angel:

Who is planning a summer party? I found myself with less than a week's notice having a Bastille Day party. It isn't a full meal (I'm looking at late afternoon, but before supper), and I happen to have a half-wheel of goat brie (yes, those of you who read other lines, a locally made cheese) and on Saturday I'll pick up some crusty bread. I also have a container of Alouette cheese spread (also a local product). The friend who is guest of honor lives in France and almost always brings me some sort of food product (and I have a jar of pate from her last visit that will come out). I have no intentions of cooking, and my friends are all big on potluck. Someone actually already brought me a French flag, and I suspect another one may be coming, to decorate the porch rail. I'm considering making a quiche the day before. What are your plans, and do any of you have any French ideas?
Qu’ils mangent de la brioche.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake#cite_note-RousseauConfessions262-2

Let them eat cake! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A crisp salad w/ Dijon vinaigrette. Mediterranean olives. Grape clusters or really any summer fruits. A baguette or mini croissants. Gougeres. Although you already have nice cheeses and presumably cheese in the quiche. A wee glass of real champagne. And yes, let them eat cake !!
Vive la France !

I meant other than try to survive. Do people get together and party while the hurricane is going on?

Usually only the college students :LOL: Although, when we lost power for a week after Isabel, we cooked all our food from the fridge and freezer and shared with the neighbors. We also cleaned up as a group and shared meals.

We had a BBQ yesterday, with homemade burgers, and chicken kebabs. Nothing major, but it was kinda unplanned. Just used what we were gonna eat, but cooked on the BBQ rather than in the oven.

My daughter usually spends her summers out in her yard and pool. Not this year. It is just too dang hot and humid. And the sun hurts her scar on her scalp. It has even been too hot for her husband to cook their meals on the grill. So they stocked up on about $40 worth of cold cuts and salad fixings. Enough for the two of them to get by for a week. I can't say I blame them. She had her MRI and blood work done this week also for her chemo week coming up on Sunday. And she will eat very little that week. I will be so glad when this is all over. :angel:

I have all my family here every Sunday as most of you know. This Sunday we bbq Tri Tips, have nice rolls, potato salad, a chopped salad starters will be tuna dip, stuffed mushrooms veggies for the tuna dip and it must be tuna in evoo the figs with gorgonzola and prosciutto. Persian ice cream or vanilla with caramel sauce in my new glasses. That's it guys
kades

What do you do at a hurricane party?
You hope your roof doesn't get blow off or your house destroyed. See Andrew or Katrina.

And, if you stay behind, you probably drink a lot! ;)

My SIL and her hubby hunkered down in their interior half-bath when Charlie assaulted FL. The ink had just dried on the house sale of Mom and Dad's Cape Coral home so we all breathed a little easier, but when the storm raged over Orlando they lost part of their roof, a large kitchen window, and various green things in the yard. T'was bad, but could have been much worse. To this day one of their cats runs and hides in the bathtub whenever a nor'easter comes flying in, even though they all live up here in MA now.

And, if you stay behind, you probably drink a lot! ;)

My SIL and her hubby hunkered down in their interior half-bath when Charlie assaulted FL. The ink had just dried on the house sale of Mom and Dad's Cape Coral home so we all breathed a little easier, but when the storm raged over Orlando they lost part of their roof, a large kitchen window, and various green things in the yard. T'was bad, but could have been much worse. To this day one of their cats runs and hides in the bathtub whenever a nor'easter comes flying in, even though they all live up here in MA now.
That cat's not dumb. You could still get hit by a hurricane in MA. Newfoundland gets hurricanes. Hurricane Hazel hit Toronto in 1954!

Never said that cat of hers was dumb taxy. Fat, but not dumb. :LOL:

Back to "summer parties". Our street used to have a huge to-do every summer. We'd get a committee together, give people a list of things that they needed to pick from so they could bring one item, collected money. Scheduled up "events", always based on a theme: Circus, Survivor, Mardi Gras, all kinds of things. Things for the kids were cotton candy spinner, snow cone machine, so many things I can't even remember anymore. Burgers and dogs were provided from the money collected, as was a DJ. One year they even got a guy with 55-gallon barrel BBQ pits mounted to a flatbed to come in and cook ribs and chicken! This went on for about 10 years. The last couple we didn't attend because Himself was on-call for work those Saturdays. Not a loss since those 2 years the rain was horrendous - but the party still rocked.

I think they still do it, but much lower key and at the other end of our street. Our end of the street is older...and so are the residents. ;) After a while the "kid" stuff all afternoon and evening gets *yawn* boring.

There are still block parties like that here in Eastie. The police department close off the street if it is one way. Around here the parties are on the Labor Day weekend. I avoid them like the plague. :wacko:Too many nasty drunks toward the evening hours. :angel:

Knowing the top of our street Addie, they're still partying. We closed our street off too...right after the parade, led by the fire truck and a police car. The officer would stay behind when the parade ended and did a safety program with the kids. We've had floats and all. That from 30 houses on the street...plus a few interlopers from the cross street because they felt left out. We let them join us even though they aren't part of our Apple Lane Gang. :) Nobody really got drunk but if they did we'd all pretty much walk to the host house so no one had to worry about drunk drivers. Now drunk walkers? Maybe. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom