"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking

Old 10-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Master Chef

What foods to have on hand for a natural disaster?

I have been watching the news about hurricane Matthew and it got me to thinking about what types of food and how much a person should keep on hand in preparation for a natural disaster.

I would appreciate your thoughts on putting together a three day supply of food and water for each person in your household.

I have been thinking about it from my point of view as a diabetic and it is not as easy as I originally thought it would be.

Thanks, B

Old 10-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This is a website I follow on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/SHTFPreps/

It has good ideas about everything from food to shelters, for if/when SHTF.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks!

I've been thinking about it and could only come up with peanut butter and dark chocolate.My mind sorta went blank after chocolate!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

Our large canned and dried food pantry is in the detached garage, along with several gallon containers of water we keep out there, as we use bottled water for all drinking and cooking. Duh, I just recently thought about adding a manual can opener out there, and a few pots and pans, along with blankets. We have a propane grill with an extra burner along with a extra full tank of propane at all times. Providing we have power, we have two well stocked freezers in the house.
In these parts, our biggest concern is earthquakes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm at a meeting and can't answer in detail, but here's some good info:

Emergency preparedness kit from the state of Virginia: http://www.vaemergency.gov/prepare-r...cy-supply-kit/

Food suggestions and tips: http://www.vaemergency.gov/prepare-r...pply-kit/food/
Old 10-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Our large canned and dried food pantry is in the detached garage, along with several gallon containers of water we keep out there, as we use bottled water for all drinking and cooking. Duh, I just recently thought about adding a manual can opener out there, and a few pots and pans, along with blankets. We have a propane grill with an extra burner along with a extra full tank of propane at all times. Providing we have power, we have two well stocked freezers in the house.
In these parts, our biggest concern is earthquakes.
I would definitely need to add some water in case the municipal system went out or became contaminated.

I should probably add a couple packages of shelf stable almond milk, dry cereal, crackers and a few shelf stable meals that I could choke down cold. No way to cook here unless I do it over a candle in a tin can!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Aunt Bea, another thing you can do is put bottles of water in the freezer (leave room for expansion) and have a cooler available. Then, if you lose power, you can use the water bottles as ice in the cooler. As it melts, it provides water, and it will help keep perishables cold, hopefully till you can eat them.

Think Italian for food ideas. Preserved meats and cheeses will be fine unrefrigerated for a few days. Add canned beans, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and Italian dressing. Delish

Three gallons of water per person per day is recommended.

Make sure the car is full of gas and the tub is full of water. You can use the tub water to flush the toilet, if necessary.

You can get Sterno gel packs wherever camping equipment is sold. It's not great for cooking, but it works for heating up canned food.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Funny, tomorrow marks the 9th anniversary that my husband and I left Hawaii and I have not given a single thought to disasters since.
But, when we did think about the SHTF: water, TP, batteries, propane for the grill and of course our states' most popular food item, SPAM!!! actually any dry good or canned food will do... and don't forget the pets too!
We got hit a few times and had to dip into our reserves, which I rotated.
Oh, and more than one can opener is a good idea, seeing as we lost one during Hurricane Iwa, that was one heck of a Thanksgiving, boy. But all of the neighbors checked in on each other, made sure that everyone was okay with whatever they needed and SHARED!!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

And remember - an electric can opener does you no good if the power is out
Old 10-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I save 1.75 L liquor bottles, and fill them with water. I store them in the basement, along with my canned goods, Costco spillover, and my power tools (many battery powered). We get tornados here along the river, but we should be good to go if our house flies away.

Tags
food