"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking
Old 01-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
I'm midway through preparing our pre Super Bowl special. I have 24 little porkies marinating right now. That's a hint.

My wife is preparing the potato salad. Just so she stays out of the kitchen while I work we bought potato salad at the grocery but she is adding the celery, mustard and hard boiled egg to it so it will be like my Indianapolis mother used to make.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #32
Assistant Cook
As promised the Indianapolis Super Bowl Party Appetizer

There have been numerous inquiries and discussions on the many food related Internet forums about serving snacks for Super Bowl parties centered on the signature foods of the two cities, Chicago and Indianapolis. It seems most can quickly suggest the famous Chicago deep dish pizza or the Chicago style hot dogs for Chicago but then most people outside the Hoosier state are stumped about Indianapolis. I'm drawing the line and making my suggestion. It is not corn or popcorn, it is not fried chicken, it is not beans and corn bread, it is not green bean casserole, and save the sugar cream pie for dessert. It is the famous Indiana breaded pork tenderloin sandwich - a sandwich that has its roots in Indiana and is very popular throughout the breadbasket Heartland of the Midwest, but is relatively unknown beyond.

The problem is the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is one giant of a sandwich if done right to live up to its reputation and will fill you up, muscle out other snacks and have you napping by the fourth quarter of the big game. I don't think anyone wants that. So, to make it more feasible, here is the mini pork tenderloin sandwich appetizer. What is it? It is a mini deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich of about a minimum of 2 inches to not more than 4 inches in size and served with small dinner rolls. If in Chicago you could substitute the dinner rolls with crustless white bread and slather them with gravy, but please don't. As you might infer it is not a signature food for Chicago in the way I am preparing them.

I won't bore you further. If you want the details on how I made them it is in my blog.

Here are the results. I don't say bon appetite. I say just dig in and enjoy!

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #33
Master Chef
I'll take mustard and pickles on mine please. Mini looks good to me.....besides I can never eat a whole one thats served around here anyway.

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote