Cranachan (request from Kyles!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
CRANACHAN
This is a summer recipe, but you could use frozen berries or rhubarb or gooseberries and it makes a light dessert after a heavy meal.

1 pint double cream
2 tablespoons clear honey (heather if you can get it)
4 tablespoon natural yoghurt
3 tbsp of Scots whisky
2 oz fine pinhead oatmeal (not rolled oats for breakfast porridge - the fine stuff)
8 oz raspberries

Toast the oatmeal under a hot grill till golden, then leave to cool.

Put cream, whisky and honey honey in a bowl and whip until it forms soft peaks, fold in the yoghurt.

Now assemble in individual glass dishes or a larger glass bowl (it it so pretty that it needs to be seen!)

Put a layer of cream mixture into the bottom of the dish or bowl, then a layer of the toasted pinhead oatmeal, then some fruit, then more cream mix and top off with a thin sprinking of the oatmeal and then a final thin layer of fuit.

Chill thoroughly and enjoy!

OK, if you don't have pinhead oatmeal, could you just buzz some in the food processor to achieve desired grain?

I don't think so, Alix! BUT, you could always try it!

They get toasted during the milling process, and this gives the pinhead stuff a 'nuttier' taste.

Jings (as we Scots would say!) - I hadn't realised just how different our two versions of English and cuisines really ARE!!! 8) :LOL:

DANG! OK, I am Googling pinhead oatmeal. I love learning new stuff Ishbel, sorry if all my questions are really weird. I am SO glad you found the boards, you have a wealth of very cool recipes and information. If I didn't say it before...WELCOME!

Glad you're enjoying them, Alix 8)

I love the cuisine of my own country - but love French and Italian cuisine, too. I've been on lots of cookery courses, I think my career path took a wrong turn somewhere!

Bless you!!!! I can't wait to try it, I have some pinhead oatmeal lurking in the cupboard. We only have the big rolled oats in Australia, but now i live in England I am discovering all the regional differences.

I was telling a friend about the recipe request and she said that she prepares it exactly the same as her mother, who always used porridge oats - ie rolled oats - so.... if you don't have pinhead oatmeal, go ahead and try toasting the porridge - she says her cranachan always gets compliments! It just goes to show that we all make things similar to the way oor Mammies did!

Back
Top Bottom