Fruit crisp liquid bubbling up over topping - why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apple*tart

Senior Cook
I made petite blueberry crisps the other night in 6 oz ramekins. Other than their size, they were pretty much standard fruit crisps topped with an oat/flour/sugar/butter/spice topping. By the time I took them out of the oven, the juices from the blueberries had bubbled up and over the top of the crisp topping so that there were only a couple of tiny islands of oats in a sea of purple syrupy juice. They tasted great and we at them anyway, but I missed the crunchy texture the oat topping usually provides. Anyone know why this happens and how to avoid it? Thanks!
chomp.gif

I had the very same problem last month! LOL! And I fixed this dish 3 times in one week (it was during a rash of pot lucks.)

I'm not saying this is a fix, but the third time (I'm a slow learner) - I simply limited the amount of liquid, putting in enough to barely cover a single layer of blueberries, and then using lots of oatmeal crust. It worked, but I've also made a mental note to get a new set of deeper ramekins.

When you make crisp it is important to mix some of the topping mixture in with the fruit to soak up the juice. Then put a larger bunch on top of the fruit mixture. Some juice should bubble up, thats a good thing.

When you make crisp it is important to mix some of the topping mixture in with the fruit to soak up the juice. Then put a larger bunch on top of the fruit mixture. Some juice should bubble up, thats a good thing.

Yep, that's how I was taught to do it when I make this fabulous apple crisp! :chef:

That sounds good to me! I'll try that this weekend when I make some apple crisp. :)

Interesting! I've not heard of that technique before. Thank you! So in a normal, say 8"x8" crisp, how much would you mix in? A few tablespoons?

I like when it bubbles up the sides some, but this was like a total uprising and revolt, lol. There were a few little pea-sized islands, but that's it. I will definitely try this next time! Thanks again.

In an 8x8 you would mix in something like 2/3 cup of the topping mix and the rest goes on top. When I make it there is usually something like 3-4 cups of topping. I do a bunch in the fruit, and the rest on top to crisp up. Sorry I can't be more exact.

Back
Top Bottom