"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Worth investigating if it bothers you enough to do the research,
yup, selkie, that's what I said.

What I meant was DONT TAKE THESE THINGS AT FACE VALUE.. do your own research, get the facts, make an informed decision!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

You mention farmed salmon but I heard fresh caught salmon in Upstate New York rivers is worse. Regardless I eat both because Salmon is delicious and nutrient packed. I'll take my chances.

Smart Tips and Tricks for Everyone
Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post

I read that last night. It is definitely Pro Organic propaganda, and there no studies that even proove the validity of use of organic foods.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
... until about 70 years ago, were minor in significance statistically........

Coincidentally 70 years ago people did not know or had any ways/means to even find out who had what, or why they died. That is not to say that I am for all the chemicals that are being added to foods. But for example Italians, a west majority of them, use canned tomatoes to make spaghetti and pizza sauces and we are talking much more significant numbers than any Americans. And look at them, they are healthier than Americans, they have larger families (that is to dispel the myth of infertility caused by canned tomatoes) than Americans, the life is expectancy is no worse than Americans.

The article though had some well known points, duh, was vehement Pro Organic propaganda. Recent studies have not shown any significant reasons to eat organic versus none organic. My guess is that is because there are so many chemicals in the water, in the air, in soil it self that I do not know what it would take to make foods truly organic, because most of them simply are not.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Coincidentally 70 years ago people did not know or had any ways/means to even find out who had what, or why they died. That is not to say that I am for all the chemicals that are being added to foods. But for example Italians, a west majority of them, use canned tomatoes to make spaghetti and pizza sauces and we are talking much more significant numbers than any Americans. And look at them, they are healthier than Americans, they have larger families (that is to dispel the myth of infertility caused by canned tomatoes) than Americans, the life is expectancy is no worse than Americans.

The article though had some well known points, duh, was vehement Pro Organic propaganda. Recent studies have not shown any significant reasons to eat organic versus none organic. My guess is that is because there are so many chemicals in the water, in the air, in soil it self that I do not know what it would take to make foods truly organic, because most of them simply are not.
Its funny that you can knock researchers for being biased then follow up with a claim that is anecdotal at best, purely misguided at worst, and provides absolutely no causal evidence or even a lucid causal claim.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

That was exactly my point, that those researchers reserch and find what they are paid to find. And yes it is anecdotal that people also onlu find the facts that they want to find. My motto is moderation and not some nonsence research.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
That was exactly my point, that those researchers reserch and find what they are paid to find. And yes it is anecdotal that people also onlu find the facts that they want to find. My motto is moderation and not some nonsence research.
Oh, and you alone are qualified to separate the real research from the nonsense research? Well, I wasn't aware that you had that kind of power. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were such an authority.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Master Chef

I do not qualifie or disqualified either. Read what I said, "My motto is moderation".

But no research from 1978, I would not consider that a research to consider.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
...But no research from 1978, I would not consider that a research to consider.
....I rest my case!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
Master Chef

Good. I'm glad.