"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Worth investigating if it bothers you enough to do the research,
yup, selkie, that's what I said.

What I meant was DONT TAKE THESE THINGS AT FACE VALUE.. do your own research, get the facts, make an informed decision!
__________________

__________________

GrillingFool is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16
You mention farmed salmon but I heard fresh caught salmon in Upstate New York rivers is worse. Regardless I eat both because Salmon is delicious and nutrient packed. I'll take my chances.
__________________

__________________
Bobby Pierson from Philadelphia, PA.

Smart Tips and Tricks for Everyone
SmartTips is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post

I read that last night. It is definitely Pro Organic propaganda, and there no studies that even proove the validity of use of organic foods.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
... until about 70 years ago, were minor in significance statistically........


Coincidentally 70 years ago people did not know or had any ways/means to even find out who had what, or why they died. That is not to say that I am for all the chemicals that are being added to foods. But for example Italians, a west majority of them, use canned tomatoes to make spaghetti and pizza sauces and we are talking much more significant numbers than any Americans. And look at them, they are healthier than Americans, they have larger families (that is to dispel the myth of infertility caused by canned tomatoes) than Americans, the life is expectancy is no worse than Americans.

The article though had some well known points, duh, was vehement Pro Organic propaganda. Recent studies have not shown any significant reasons to eat organic versus none organic. My guess is that is because there are so many chemicals in the water, in the air, in soil it self that I do not know what it would take to make foods truly organic, because most of them simply are not.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Sous Chef
 
vyapti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 871
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Coincidentally 70 years ago people did not know or had any ways/means to even find out who had what, or why they died. That is not to say that I am for all the chemicals that are being added to foods. But for example Italians, a west majority of them, use canned tomatoes to make spaghetti and pizza sauces and we are talking much more significant numbers than any Americans. And look at them, they are healthier than Americans, they have larger families (that is to dispel the myth of infertility caused by canned tomatoes) than Americans, the life is expectancy is no worse than Americans.

The article though had some well known points, duh, was vehement Pro Organic propaganda. Recent studies have not shown any significant reasons to eat organic versus none organic. My guess is that is because there are so many chemicals in the water, in the air, in soil it self that I do not know what it would take to make foods truly organic, because most of them simply are not.
Its funny that you can knock researchers for being biased then follow up with a claim that is anecdotal at best, purely misguided at worst, and provides absolutely no causal evidence or even a lucid causal claim.
__________________
myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com
vyapti is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
That was exactly my point, that those researchers reserch and find what they are paid to find. And yes it is anecdotal that people also onlu find the facts that they want to find. My motto is moderation and not some nonsence research.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That was exactly my point, that those researchers reserch and find what they are paid to find. And yes it is anecdotal that people also onlu find the facts that they want to find. My motto is moderation and not some nonsence research.
Oh, and you alone are qualified to separate the real research from the nonsense research? Well, I wasn't aware that you had that kind of power. I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were such an authority.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
I do not qualifie or disqualified either. Read what I said, "My motto is moderation".

But no research from 1978, I would not consider that a research to consider.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
...But no research from 1978, I would not consider that a research to consider.
....I rest my case!
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline  
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Good. I'm glad.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.