"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #31
Master Chef

I also was a "big kid" ... not overweight, simply very large (I still am). I think that fruit juice is the biggest mistake I see my friends make with their kids. Have them drink a glass of water before they can have anything else. When they've sucked up 8-12 oz of water, then they can have fruit juice. When I was a kid, fruit juice was expensive, and we could only have 4-6 oz a day, and even then Mom actually watered it down! My mom was somewhat embarassed by my size, as my sister is with one of her sons. No, not fat. We just looked like we were 8 years old when we were 5 or 6. At one time a friend of mine, just meeting my mom, overheard me say, "when I was little..." She asked Mom "Was she ever little?". Mom's response? "Nope. She was two feet tall at birth." I went and looked at the paperwork, and yes I was.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I also was a "big kid" ... not overweight, simply very large (I still am). I think that fruit juice is the biggest mistake I see my friends make with their kids. Have them drink a glass of water before they can have anything else. When they've sucked up 8-12 oz of water, then they can have fruit juice. When I was a kid, fruit juice was expensive, and we could only have 4-6 oz a day, and even then Mom actually watered it down! My mom was somewhat embarassed by my size, as my sister is with one of her sons. No, not fat. We just looked like we were 8 years old when we were 5 or 6. At one time a friend of mine, just meeting my mom, overheard me say, "when I was little..." She asked Mom "Was she ever little?". Mom's response? "Nope. She was two feet tall at birth." I went and looked at the paperwork, and yes I was.

I'm very bad about juice. Well, I WAS. Very seldom anymore does she get juice unless it's the lite kind and I DO mix it with water and lots of ice. She's also now eating the smartchoice peanut butter on her sandwiche with a banana. Whenever she wants something to eat I give her a bowl of fresh fruit. I hope that's cool. She is eating ALOT of it but it's watermelon, canteloupe, strawberries and grapes. And occasionally she gets a pack of those 100cal goodies and the mini ricecakes. I'm finding it harder to discipline myself in this diet thing than she is. It sucks that she just doesn't have the metabolism to eat a piece of candy and not gain 2 lbs for it. But oh well, she's beginning her healthy life and I couldn't be happier. I don't care what size she turns out to be, tall, chuby, short or skinny. As long as I know that I'm doing everything I can to help her live a healthy and normal life...I'm happy.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Sounds like you are a great mom!

Every child is different--think of all the mixed-up genes in all the various strands of your family and your husband's. (Especially for those of us in the USA, who are descended from folks all over the earth.)

But what every child needs is a mom (and dad) who understands and supports him or her in the growing-up process, so that eventually the child will become a happy, healthy, self-sufficient adult.

And it sounds like you are that kind of mom.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #34
Executive Chef

There was a special on the Food Network last weekend and this weekend about obese kids. Has anyone seen it yet?

Called Childhood Obesity, the show deals with extremely overweight teens and their ambition to get rid of the excess weight.

An 18-year-old was suffering from obesity and decided to go into the hospital to have the life-saving surgery that would help him return to normal size. He weighed a whopping 500lbs!!

How on earth do children allow themselves to get that big before they say Enough is enough?