"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
And, as usual, I agree with Dawg. Beans and lentils and such are very filling. Again, something you can make in advance and dole out and eat cold (or nuke and eat from a thermos). Slivered nuts are sources of healthy fats and also are filling on such dishes.

Chili, believe it or not, is something that is very easy to make low-fat, very filling, and again, you can make a big batch, freeze (or not, lasts long in a fridge), nuke, and eat from a thermos (I swear, my husband would eat it cold).
Thanks, Claire! My husband DOES eat chili cold! (I don't). Crazy man...

Great ideas!

We've also gotten longevity from beans and rice (black, red, whatever) with whatever meat, usually smoked kielbasa, ham, chicken, you can cook ahead, heat, and again put in your thermos. Probably need a widemouth one for these.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Perfect Lunch Jar: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-Clas...ref=pd_sim_k_2

Old 01-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
Head Chef

I think some of us are missing the point! This guy is a construction worker , is over 200 lbs ,and pretty young! He wants food!
Beef steak sandwich's, calzones, pasties. Fruit and salads are for dessert! Cheesecake will keep him going. when I worked with heavy equipment , I'd heat things in the engine compartment of a michine. Canned soup , pizza etc. Just don't forget about it or you will have a mess!!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

He did ask for healthy...
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

He wants to get his weight down.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Welcome. Glad you are here. I like to use wraps or tortillas to take my meat, cheese and veggies for lunch. If you just can't get those hands clean at lunch time, you can eat it from the little plastic zip lock bag.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

Tomato juice is a filling and low calorie drink, it now comes in most any size can. Small baggies of peanuts along with an apple make a decent snack or a hard boiled FRESH egg peeled and ready to go in a plastic bag. Think about eating small things throughout the day instead of one big feeding at lunch. Take a few minutes to eat breakfast even if it is only peanut butter on whole grain toast.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Tomato juice is a filling and low calorie drink, it now comes in most any size can. Small baggies of peanuts along with an apple make a decent snack or a hard boiled FRESH egg peeled and ready to go in a plastic bag. Think about eating small things throughout the day instead of one big feeding at lunch. Take a few minutes to eat breakfast even if it is only peanut butter on whole grain toast.
I also send boiled eggs, or an english muffin with p/b or a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. For lunch, I send "sandwiches" in wraps, or pita pockets. I have also taken bread sticks, covered with cream cheese, and wrapped meat and cheese around them - sort of an inside out sandwich. I send snack bags with cherry tomatoes, olives, sugar snaps, or baby-cut carrots and nuts. Almonds are filling and high protien, or mixed nuts. Sometimes, I send broiled chicken quarters, or a thermos of chili w/o beans, or homemade hearty soup. I try to rotate fish (tuna or smoked salmon) chicken or meat. Sometimes, I can find small steaks, that I can broil or grill ahead of time, and send them separate from a mayo'ed bun, lettuce and tomato. He can assemble his sandwich himself. Because I'm packing his lunch, I usually throw in some hershey kisses, or some small sweet thing, and always some fruit, whatever's in season. I try to send lots of little things, and send a variety. I try to keep in mind, calorie, carbs and sugar.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper
I think some of us are missing the point! This guy is a construction worker , is over 200 lbs ,and pretty young! He wants food!
Beef steak sandwich's, calzones, pasties. Fruit and salads are for dessert! Cheesecake will keep him going. when I worked with heavy equipment , I'd heat things in the engine compartment of a michine. Canned soup , pizza etc. Just don't forget about it or you will have a mess!!
I'm no stranger to cab warmed food. I just need a balance in the food to try and get rid of the belly.

Over all, money isn't an issue. I work a nice dangerous job and I'm compensated for it.

Just thank you all for the info and support!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
Head Chef

I see you have gotten lots of help but may I offer this? I think that you will find that unprocessed foods will stick with you longer than processed things. Fresh fruits and veggies are often portion controlled by nature. A tomatoe eaten like an apple with a small amount of salt can be a real treat in the late summer. A big cucumber can give you a satisfying crunch, and there are apples for wvery kind of taste preference. The biggest thing is remembering that you need food to live and not the other way around. Maybe for just one meal a day eat what is good for you. I find it easiest to do that at lunch especially when I am busy. Then at the other meals when I have time to enjoy them I allow myself to be a little more free with my eating. Hope this helps.

Tags
healthy